Prisoner denied Satanic Bible because it "incites violence"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Aug 9, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This is just dripping with irony.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/article_d2bcf1f2-885b-5b26-8bab-4d75319e8314.html

The defense said exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the article - what religious text doesn't incite violence? If anything, the Satanic Bible is better in that regard - it only encourages violence in an eye for an eye type scenario. It doesn't condone killing someone because they believe in something different from you, or because they're gay, working on the sabbath, wearing mixed fabrics or eating pork. If they're going to ban the Satanic Bible because it incites violence, then surely they need to ban the Bible and Koran too, they're about as violent as they come. I really hope this guy appeals his case and wins.

Thoughts?

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't agree with the restriction regarding this book being available to inmates. As the argument goes, any book, theory, or belief can be taken out of context.

And speaking of taking things out of context can we put to rest the false allegations you are making:

We've covered this in numerous threads the Bible doesn't instruct or prescribe that believers today are to go around killing anyone for any reason.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Let the dude have his satanic bibles. I guarantee you the person who rejected his request was a religious christian.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Are there Christians who aren't religious?

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Plenty of them.

6. 184550 Guest

I won't question your guarantee, but perhaps you could provide examples of or expand upon this idea of 'religious Christians'?

IMO, it sounds like quite the oxymoron.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Whilst "killing" is a bit strong, we've also been through this many times when I say that is you interpretation. Whilst I think it's great that you have looked at the Bible and found good things, many have not. There are passages of the Bible that very clearly incite hatred, as well as bits that equally clearly incite tolerance. We simply can't be sure what the original authors intended, we can only try our best.

I say give this guy the book. Many religious texts can be interpretted, or twisted, to justify hate etc. Hopefully this guy is above that though.

8. 184550 Guest

And here is where context and the time of the writing is important.

The documents that currently compose the Christian Bible were written over ~2,000 years ago.

The Satanic Bible was written ~1969, correct?

You do the math.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Maybe i should have said "non-fundamental". I know plenty of people who were born christians, celebrate christian holidays, and go to church once a year but don't adhere to everything the bible says. They have lots of premarital sex and abortions, and support gay marriage. I find it hard to believe you guys don't understand what i was trying to get at with that statement.

10. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

In other words, pseudo-christians.

11. 184550 Guest

I would simply call them 'people'. ;)

EDIT:

TBH, if you had said something along the lines of 'Cafeteria Catholic', I would have understood what you were getting at.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I thought you meant people like this.

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If i weren't an atheist, that would be my kind of church! I wish all christians were like that!

EDIT:
    Just finished reading the article, almost makes me want to go to that church! That's a very open minded and modern view of christianity, this place needs to branch out and open some more churches like that. How refreshing!

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

"Culturally Christian," which actually describes a substantial fraction of Americans who identify as "Christian." You ask them if they believe in God, they say, "sure" in a way that implies "I guess so." They get all the little cultural references that are founded in Christian mythology. They hang stockings at Christmas and hide eggs at Easter. They suppose they ought to go to church, but it's a tedious hassle. They tick the box that says "Christian" on forms, and thus get counted in the statistics poorly educated jerks use to claim America is a "Christian Nation."

In other words, Christians people can actually like, as opposed to self-righteous asses looking to impress the like-minded and insult everybody else.

Would that everyone were simply "people."

Agreed. I actually don't want to see organized religion go away, because there are things we'd lose, and things atheists do miss out on. Churches serve as nucleation points for communities, for making social connections, for volunteerism and charity and (at their best) for a certain egalitarianism. Though this is not in itself a justification for superstition, it's actually a difficult phenomenon to reproduce from scratch in a secular context.

I would love to see vestigial religions that remain as community organizations in the same way that the Masons are a vestige of a primitive labor union. If I could go to one place to hear inspirational speakers, commune with my neighbors, give to community causes and know the funds were well-used and volunteer to travel and do summer construction work again, without being expected to believe in magic, change my politics or hate anybody on the say-so of a special book, then I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Probably still not Sunday mornings, mind you.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe you mean to say "idea of 'non-religious Christians'".

And I consider myself one.

I'll have no third-party telling me how to live my life, thank you very much.

Perhaps I am more Buddhist, but I know virtually nothing about their "religion".

16. 184550 Guest

No, I did not.

17. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Last time I read a Satanic bible I noticed there was quite a bit of sex.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, that!! ;)

It's the only instruction manual that men will actually read, as with the other 'sacred' texts. :D

19. mscriv, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. As I've said before, and you admit yourself, it's people who twist things to justify them, ignoring what the text actually says. Please cite or reference for me a portion that, when correctly taken in the context of the whole, would "incite hatred". The simple fact is, it can't be done, because it's not there. As I quoted above:

Pay close attention to verses 39 and 40. If what Christ describes as the "second greatest commandment" is to "love your neighbor as yourself" then where or how could one justify hatred? They can't, their actions stand in direct opposition to what is there. In 40 he clearly puts forth that "all the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments", meaning that this is the frame of reference from which we interpret the previous parts of the whole. The new is the fulfillment of the old. Grace has been given and faith, hope, and love are the most excellent way.

Like many have done before, you can go pluck a passage out of the Old Testament and take it out of its context to claim that it "incites hatred" against homosexuals or something similar that is a political and socially charged topic of the day, but the point will remain the same. Christ fulfilled the law, showed us the example of servant leadership, and called us to follow him in putting other's needs above our own. This is the truth of the gospel and there is no place for hatred in it.

20. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Spot on post.

21. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Interpretation is one thing, but God did some pretty awful things in old testament days. Seems he favored genocide, or encouraging others to do his barbaric work, for the sake of the 'greater good' apparently.

Jesus comes along, and says, 'well lets' chill out a bit', says that he's a man of the times and has a plan B for humanity (plan A wasn't working), a bit less fire and brimstone.

Bit late really, although he put on a good show, I mean I'm sure plenty of men have faced death to safeguard others, but not all of them have blubbed about it before, and more importantly none of those others were immortal, with a 3 day turnaround.

22. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Yes.. and the "other bible" and the quran incite peace and love...

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:D Excellent, truly exceptional.

24. MacHamster68, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

maybe we should say there are many who call themself christian , but do not practice their believe
    like there are many too who call themself muslims, jews , buddhists..... and are not practicing their believe

but let that guy have the satanic bible if it makes him happy , after all he is in prison , so what harm could he do in there apart from sacrificing some inmates ?

i see it as a chance for him to become a adequate member of society again , if you think about it there have been done more crimes in the name of god (however you call him in different religions ) then from followers of satan