Prisoner in van said Freddie Gray was ‘trying to injure himself'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So, how big was the van that it had a wall separating them? How did he know the was was injuring himself if he could not see the man due to the wall?

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I trust what I've seen in the video before he was inside the van vs what an unknown prisoner gives in a statement of what happened in the van.

Who is this prisoner, so we can judge him as much as Freddie Gray is being judged.

4. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

The video shows him able to stand prior to entering the van and supports the secondary prisoners version of events. Additionally, the secondary prisoner was a later pickup, thus indicating that he was able to stand prior to the last 6 black from the secondary pickup to the police station.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Were we watching the same video? I didn't see any point in that video where he was able to stand. All I saw was him being carried while in extreme pain.

6. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

Huh? Sure looks like he is standing under his own power.

[​IMG]

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Why don't we watch the video in its entirety, instead of posting a single frame, and calling shenanigans.

Look! He's standing! OLOL!

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

9. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

Is he or is he not standing on the bumper of the van?

I couldn't give 2 ***** about a guy being arrested playing opossum after being chased/tazered.

Hint: The answer is yes, he is in fact standing on the bumper of the van.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The polices job is to keep people they arrest safe. They have a duty of care.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

So what you're saying is that the entire video doesn't matter, because that one picture that just happens to fit your narrative, based around a witness that only heard some noises, sure as hell looks like he's standing, right?

"The whole thing means nothing, guys! Cuz look! I found a picture!"

----------

Boom. The police don't have to be kind and wear kid gloves while they're arresting you. But I can't think of any situation beyond a direct assault on an officers life where applying enough force to crush a guy's throat and break is neck is justified.

12. ThisIsNotMe thread starter macrumors 68000

And what evidence do you have to indicate that the police did not keep him safe?

How else do you suggest the police handle someone when they act like a 2 year old and refuse to walk?

As that didn't happen, I am not sure how you arrived that the conclusion.

I really do not understand how someone can live so far out of reality that they side with career criminal thugs despite all of the evidence indicating contrary events.

Let me guess, you also think Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin were assassinated/murdered because of institutional racism/racism.

13. Renzatic, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

A guy with a crushed throat and broken neck.

That wasn't a guy being petulant. That was a guy in extreme pain.

Exactly. So how'd he break his neck? If he rammed his head into a flat surface hard enough to sustain damage to his upper spine AND crush his throat, there would've been obvious evidence of external injury to the top of his skull, and likely some brain trauma. At least a severe concussion.

I guess it's true. You can rub reality in some people's face, but you can't make them acknowledge it.

You ninja edited on me. Okay, here goes...

You have a report from a guy who heard some noises, and a picture. I provided a video and ample evidence why your theory of events doesn't pan out.

You have nothing whatsoever. You only have circumstantial evidence of something you desperately want to believe is true.

And I'm not siding with the guy. That's what you and yours fail to understand. The guy was probably among the scum of the earth. But you know what? He's a US citizen, afforded all the rights that come standard with it. Being beaten by the police just because they don't like him is a direct violation of those rights.

I'm not siding with a criminal. I'm pointing out gross injustice. Even if he is a piece of filth, he has his rights, and they should be both respected and protected.

Michael Brown was likely asking for it. Trayvon Martin was walking home from the store, and got profiled by a guy who became suspicious when a saw a black kid in a hoodie.

Both are good for showing that there's still a good sized racial rift here in the US. If there weren't, and everything really is all hunky dory, we wouldn't be having this conversation now. Wouldn't have so many people running around here bleating "why do you defend the black man so, white liberal? Why do you defend the black man so?"

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can obviously see the bike officer's right arm wrapped around Gray and his head leaning on Gray as to keep him up. Then there is the rest of the video that show he couldn't stand on his own. Only a delusional person would think otherwise.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Inside one of these vans....I don't see ANYTHING in there that could possible crush a windpipe.

The only angle that could possibly hit against is the seat...which is clearly padded, and good luck swinging your neck down in that confined space enough to sever a spinal chord AND crush a windpipe.

Video the screenshot is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjc3VkIZ7ng

Attached Files:

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This reminds me of Apartheid Zuid Afrika and Steve Biko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Biko

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The only way he could've done so is if he bull rushed the divider at the end opposite end of the van, telescoping his neck on impact. But...

...if he hit it with enough force to do so, it would've killed him instantly, and...

...it would've also crushed the top of his skull in the process.

There's no way he could've done it himself, since the injuries he sustained were localized solely to his neck.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly.

I also don't buy this prisoners story...too many holes and no way to get ahold of that prisoner. Cops covering for cops...a pattern.

19. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The leftist media outlets are now 0 for 4 on their LIES.

They were WRONG about Zimmerman.
    They were WRONG about Brown.
    They were WRONG about Garner.
    They are now WRONG about Gray.

At what point should these outlets (NY Times, PMSNBC, etc) gets the pants sued off them?

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Or a guy wanting some positive attention, and found a good way to get it.

Either way, the story doesn't gel.

----------

Besides Brown, which was a teetotal cluster**** from beginning to end, how was THE LEFT wrong about any of these people?

21. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...tape-screw-up/2012/04/03/gIQA8m5jtS_blog.html

conveniently edited the video to show what they wanted to show.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, there was a good bit of bad reporting and sensationalism going on there. But there always is. Doesn't change the fact that Martin wasn't doing anything suspicious, and shouldn't have died that night.

Grey? Yeah, he was probably being arrested for good reason, but a crushed throat and broken neck shows things went a lot farther than the should have.

Garner? Died due to overbearing force applied to a misdemeanor crime. Backing up a couple of steps and slapping someone's hand away when they're approaching you in a threatening manner doesn't constitute violently resisting arrest. He was more scared than volatile.

24. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

For one those deaths had absolutely nothing to do with racism. Trayvon wasn't some innocent 12 year old. He attacked a Hispanic Democrat male (media initially speculated it was a white Tea Partier) who was on neighborhood watch because his neighborhood was being robbed by blacks and Trayvon matched the description. He also looked like he was on drugs or something so that's why he was followed. Every neighborhood watch in the country would act the same way.

Whether or not GZ should have followed is not the issue. TM attacked GZ, and GZ fearing for his life, had to pull the trigger. GZ's biggest mistake was letting himself get noticed.

Garner was not a racial issue either. He was cited multiple times for selling individual cigarettes illegally and the cops yet again went to tell him to go away. Unfortunately he was not in the best shape and his health issues caught up with him after he resisted arrest. The commanding officer was a minority.

So 0/4 in terms of them being race-related. None of these people were saints. They all had wrap sheets. TM (for example) was suspended from school for property theft. The media made it seem like they were Carlton from Fresh Prince.

25. Renzatic, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

There is equal reason to believe that either TM or GZ could've started the altercation that eventually led to TM's death. It's the reason why Zimmerman walked. There was few minute gap where the only two people who knew exactly what went down were those involved, and one died during it. That introduces reasonable doubt, which is why GZ walked.

But to assume that Martin was nothing more than a little thug who got what was coming to him, while GZ was entirely innocent of any wrongdoing is erroneous. Martin, as far as I know, had no priors or a history of violence other than a couple of pictures of him trying to look all badass and mean, while Zimmerman has shown himself to not be the most table of individuals since. Don't assume anything.

edit: figured I'd comment on the property theft thing.

OH GOD! Seriously? Because he stole something from school, you can instantly assume the future potential of violence? Hell, I got written up for hiding an old overhead project out on the school roof, and ISS for cross wiring cameras. Also got suspended for 3 days for trying to throw an apple across the cafeteria...and missing.

I guess this means that since I wasn't a complete saint in all regards, it's only a matter of time before I rear up on someone, and get shot for being a little violent thug.

That's the thing that pisses me off about all this. No, most of these people weren't perfect. Hell, Grey had a rap sheet as long as my forearm. But that doesn't make them guilty by default, and everyone else innocent by proxy. Despite what you might believe, we live in a world that's far from being morally black and white.