Privacy and Stuff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 29, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

OK, so I was searching for a treadmill on my work computer and then signed into Facebook. There were ads on my page for treadmills. I get that. Not sure how it works but I understand how one site could get info from another site. BUT: I was looking for a new iphone case on my iphone and yesterday at home and now today on my work computer there are ads for the exact same case I was looking for on facebook. Come on! How does that happen besides being one hell of a coincidence?

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

That's crazy. Facebook can reach everywhere!

3. 0007776 Suspended

I don't understand the technical aspects completely, but I believe if you are logged into your facebook account on both computers the advertisers are able to link you to the profile they have of your interests and target ads to you based off of anything you've done while logged into that account.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How come I’m getting ads for cut-price funerals? What the hell have I been googling?

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Some things should be separate. I'm looking at my Facebook feed for certain things, I'm using google to search for something for a reason, I'm not using Facebook to search for things. I don't need the two merged. I don't need to see advertisements for leather paddles and ball gags on my facebook feed.

6. skunk, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am unendingly grateful that I never signed up for Facebook, even if it means I don’t know where to get a leather paddle.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I signed up and I rarely look at it. Half the people I'm friends with I mute because they post stupid **** all day long, making me wonder if they still have a job. Then there are the ones trying to run a business for "cleansing" products to get your colon spic'n'span. The journey through weight loss, which I often don't see (because losing 10lbs when your 280 is like throwing a deck chair off the titanic) while peddling their products. The motivational posters make me want to hit them with my car.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Seems to be the expression of angst du jour.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I am disbelieving you (that you would not know where to get a leather paddle).

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the tech companies have got way too creepy.

Sainsbury’s was doing 10x bonus nectar points at the weekend. I guess their high value customers have decided to stop giving them their shopping data for 0.5% off, I know I have.

12. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

Facebook has scared the royal beejezus out of me with their ads. It's not just Facebook either, it's Google as well.

On my iPhone, I've got all permissions off for Facebook and it still shows ads for Mexican food when I just got home from one. Showed me a sale on my favorite body wash I bought on ebay. I don't have the ebay app on my iPhone, it's on my V30+. Which doesn't have Facebook or Facebook messenger installed and I've disabled the Facebook manager system apps. Plus location is off on the V30+ too.

Keep this in mind, my iPhone it has no SIM.

The wifi I forget to turn off on the iPhone sometimes, so maybe this? Yet how would it gather my ebay info on my purchase? My Gmail?

My location services and background refresh are off on the iPhone and location is only on my V30+ when I'm using GPS.

So... How the hell?!?

I don't think any thing I do is ever private anymore.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We know what you want before you do. I knew you were going to say that.

14. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

supercookie. Europe has GDPR but here in good ole USofA profit comes first, teh "deregulation".

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

There are so many ways sites, like Facebook, track us. Some of the things we can do to minimize this are by adding certain browser extensions, setup network level blocking and a few other things.

Network level blocking: Setup a Pi-Hole. Then add your choice of curated block lists. I block over 1.1 million domains in my Pi-Hole. <-- I love this one and have been doing it since last year.

Browser Plugins: Privacy Badger by EFF, U Block Origin, Track Me Not and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials. (there are more)

Firewall level blocking: If you use a pfSense firewall (I do) use pfBlockerNG and enable DNSBL. (Does the same thing as Pi-Hole.)

Cookies: Delete browser cookies. Delete Flash cookies also called LSO's or Locally Shared Objects.

Also, don't browse the web with your browser in full screen mode. This helps contribute to browser fingerprinting, another way to track you across the web.

There are more things we can do to minimize tracking, but this is a very good start and I use all of these methods except the pfBlockerNG because I already run a Pi-Hole.

Lastly, go into every device you have, mobile or computer, and look for every privacy related thing they offer, including ads and location based stuff and opt out or disable them.

16. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

I just emailed myself your whole post. You have made me feel very enlightened and noobish simultaneously. You're amazing.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

The browser plugin HTTPS Everywhere can also help minimize those super cookies on regular computers. Plus its just good security practice.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help.

Additionally, a good VPN can help block a lot of stuff too. But not all VPN's are created equal and a user has to weigh the options available by each provider and determine if it does what they want. Ideally, one would want to create their own VPN and OpenVPN is a good choice. Here is a very comprehensive VPN comparison chart website. Take a good look there and see which VPN may be right for you.

If one just wants to block all Facebook stuff, including Instagram and Whatsapp, they can add all of Facebook's domains from this curated Pi-Hole list and just copy/paste them into your computers hosts file. If you look at the list, you might be amazed at how many domains Facebook owns.

18. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

You are being followed by me now.

Not like in a stalker creepy way.

This stuff should have its own post!

Too many of us are invaded daily and too little, myself included, don't have the knowledge you do. So once again, thank you for all this!

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You might also have a listen to Mozilla's (maker of Firefox) podcast, IRL. Its informative, not too long to listen to and not overly techy like some of my other podcasts are.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I’m disappointed it was able to get as bad as it is... all the flags were there too when they started selling everyone’s info to anybody that wanted it.

Now they want everything.

I’m just waiting for one of these DNA money machines to screw up.

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I already assume the DNA companies will screw up so no plans of using any of them.

I stopped using personal Facebook about 4 years ago but still had the account. A few months ago, I pulled the trigger and actually deleted all of it. In the past few months I had been switching settings away from Google (originally because it was questionable why my generic search engine would have an ideological stance that would affect what my search results could be). And then eventually, it boiled down to privacy and a complete lack of trust in Google, so everything else has been switched away from them (even my Gmail account since 2004).

I honestly miss the Internet of pre-2003 or so.

22. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Ah, the truth comes out.

I don't have cross-contamination between home and work, but do get it between browsers. Do. Not. Like.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That may already have happened, in part. An online genealogy website that offers DNA testing services to its members (and a supposedly segregated database of DNA data) was breached in October of 2017, and 92 million email addresses and hashed passwords were taken. In theory the passwords themselves were not acquired and the associated DNA info supposedly has extra layers of security. Who knows. The breach was not discovered until June 4, 2018.

Outfit says there's no evidence the stolen data has been used, it was found on some server somewhere.

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...-online-genealogy-website-suffers-data-breach

Yada yada in other word nobody knows anything for sure, but once again millions and millions of half-a-key and the name of an associated respository of sensitive data has been out there for a long time, for whoever had it to be free to copy it, sell it, explore for like name/passwords elsewhere etc.

And the rest of the corporate world shudders and then shrugs and figures hey at least it wasn't our outfit. Nope. It was just customer data breached, once again. One could start thinking bad thoughts like about doxxing the CEOs of these outfits... or doxxing the Congressmen who just lecture them about taking cybersecurity seriously.

LOL your data isn't even safe until you're born now... facebook surely knows your mom is pregnant and some genealogy site her family frequents already has a record of your mitochondrial DNA.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me people seem to understand that your Browser has always been tracking you sense the Internet began as Cookies! The server (web page) you connect to know what ISP you are, from what ISP server and the kind on computer you have in the cookie! So you have NEVER had total privacy on the web! The reall story is HTML is starting to get really creepy lately and want to track you by GPS, I still think is way creepy!