Privacy: Apple, Google, or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, May 14, 2018.

?

What level of privacy do you use on your smart devices?

1. Complete blackout from everything

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Apple level of privacy

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. Google Privacy - user semi defined

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Wide open - the world can look all it wants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't care - take it as it goes

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. What's this privacy thing?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Live off the grid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rhonindk, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

This comes up every once in a while and it crossed my mind after seeing the new Google P and listening to Tim Cook's address to the graduates at Duke. In this day and age privacy as we know it has become a blurred commodity that most knowingly or unknowingly sell or barter for services, be it devices, utilities, shopping, merchandising, job searches, education, etc... Most everything we interact and integrate with uses and / or shares/sells our information.

I am an Apple, Google, Windows user. I religiously periodically review my privacy and security settings in all my environments and look how I interact in the big wide world. Yes, having a job background check every two years does help to focus my efforts. No, I am not a Facebook user but do have a twitter account. ;)

This all said, we are now migrating into the next area of device interaction: AI.
    Wow. We all and love/hate Siri. Cortana. Google Assistant. Alexa. Then there was the demonstration at the latest Google I/O developers conference keynote. Add in the Google employee resignations from protesting Project Maven (LINK). The popularity of Alexa. We are well on our way.

AI runs off of knowledge. Data. A big portion of that data comes via us. Our private data. So,what is privacy? How does it really affect me? Do I really have control? We have all had the emails, calls, snail mail, that starts after we download an app, apply for a loan, buy a car, sign up for a class, etc... This is irrespective of how careful we are. Privacy is far more than just a company or OS.

Anyway, as a serious Google user (yes, I really like their products), I ran across an article (LINK) that did a semi decent job of asking that very question and using Google as the subject. In this evolving world of AI, just what is privacy and how / can we personally effect it? If we say no to AI in our personal world, what are we giving up? Are some of us saying no and the information is gleaned from somewhere else?

Push comes to shove, what do we want? A Siri? A Google Assistant? Alexa? Or something else?

Anyway, vote and speak your piece. There are no right or wrong answers yet.
    T quote an item from the article,
    If someone comes up some alternative meaningful poll choices, I will amend them. :)

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think there are huge safety and ethical issues with all sorts of AI, privacy being the least among them, but an important one. No AI is going to listen in on my conversations 24-7 if I can help it. I do not mind Siri, but I want to press a physical button that activates listening.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I only have fake accounts on Facebook and Twitter... I deleted my Linkedin account years ago.

I've never used Siri or iCloud.

If I Google myself... nothing comes up.

4. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Same here. I get the occasional item that I backtrack. I did find MyLife which had all kinds of incorrect and correct information under my name. :mad:

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't want to say I don't care but in many ways I don't.

I don't mind that google knows where I'm going if I use maps since I can delete it if I want. I don't mind that Chrome/Safari know where I am since the pipe carrying me to the net know where I am. I don't use social media much beyond forums and G+ because none of the rest will let me be an enthusiast of something it has to be someone and part of a web I'd just rather it be and aggregator.

My issues are more general that that...google is the internet to most people therefore without drilling down they don't see what google doesn't want them to see. Amazon has killed the books store a place I could go and buy books with cash for some anonymity since knowledge is power. Apple has pretty much killed music it's rare that I can go get a disk or LP and own my own copy and with that also comes cover art for those that are interested.

It seems at some point I'll never be able to have anything or see anything unless a company lets me.

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

And even bookstores want you to sign up for their "discount card". I have addressed this in a couple of ways. After saying no for the 3rd time, I just stop the transaction. One particularly pushy girl after being told No twice, as she handed me my bag made a snide comments about "You would have saved $X had you signed up". I told her I was going to save even more because I wanted a refund of my purchase. She had to go get a manager to do it and she wasn't pleased.

The second thing I do is tell them my wife has one, but I am not interested in using it. Confuses them good.

7. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Ran into that with Barnes & Noble. Dropped their card a while back. I still have one close that I use to gift shop a couple times a year. They have coffee. :)

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

7 years ago.

9. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Watson has grown a wee bit since those days ;)

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Probably takes a few city blocks now. :p

The tech is good, I hear it is being used to help diagnose diseases, but it can be used for unscrupulous pursuits.

11. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I can see AI in medical being one of if not the biggest near term benefit.

12. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

There is no running, really. Your cell phone operators are also selling your location information, making a buck on you.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-cell-carriers-selling-access-to-real-time-location-data/

but JOBS!

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR