Privacy concerns are no concern to Romney.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think everyone knows that companies are willing to do whatever they can to maximize their profits. It's interesting to see that same willingness to use your supposedly private data to maximize fundraising.

I'm usually not a big privacy nut, but I'm not sure I like this. Then again, I'm not sure I'm bothered by it.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just playing catch-up I think.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

It looks like the Obama camp is mining data of people who initially make contact with it, while the Romney camp looks to be blowing the top off the mountain and sifting through the rubble to find right-wing lunatics who might happen to have enough money to make it worth their time.

Sorry, I tried to make that as neutral as I could, and I think I might have failed.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

They both seem to be taking advantage of analytics. Though, I'm curious as to which churches take attendance records and then disclose that information to 3rd parties like the Romney camp. Same question for the businesses that disclose purchases.

In any case let this be another reason among many to start blocking 3rd party scripts and cookies.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

And any of you believe that Obama has not been data mining for years? Really? His staff were the first to ever exploit social media in a campaign, and you honestly think they have not exploited every available avenue for locating donors sympathetic to their campaign?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Churches don't but that information on if the government to church can be gathered in other ways and other surveys the people have done or based on where they shop one can figure out like church attendance.