Private Prisons To States: You’d Better Start Throwing More People In Prison Or We’ll Sue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jun 23, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think that private prisons should be illegal. This is one of those things that, for the good of the citizens, needs to be government run and not private. Having private prisons is just asking for all sorts of hurt.

Story

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Those cells should be occupied by every single person who thought it was a good idea to profit on the incarceration of other human beings.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's frustrating because it's hard to rally people behind a cause that involves prisoners. Not enough people give a ****.

4. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

I agree about the war on drugs. It failed and legalization is coming everywhere. The prisons would empty if drugs wee legal.

But a prisoner has no rights. Those are given up when you get sentenced to prison time. You want the coddle murders and rapists. They get free room and board and 3 meals everyday.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, they do have rights. It's called the Constitution. It applies to everyone.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Prisoners do have rights, even the rapists and murderers. Their punishment is not to treat them like garbage, to force them to live in slums, to feed them barely palatable food, or even to starve them. Their punishment is that they have been deprived of their freedom. Some prisoners will never get their freedom back. They will die in prison.

No organisation should profit from this process.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not all of it, they lose the 4th for starters

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is just plain idiotic to suggest that convicts have no rights and deserve to be treated like something you scrape off your shoe. The worse we treat them, the more resentful they will be when they get out, which has the effect of making them more likely to reoffend. We ought to be trying to figure out how to make them better, otherwise we might as well just replace all the prison beds with gallows.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

They have limited rights as convicts.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Well, yeah. Doesn't mean we should allow them being treated like animals. Despite the fact that some of them deserve as much.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Nor am I advocating that, Arpio should be in jail. Google that piece of excrement. Night peeps

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Leaving out the problem that innocent people are sometimes convicted, you still contradict yourself in the course of a single post. I thought about responding to it fully, but you should probably think things over a few times before you hit that "post reply" button next time. I would rather not try to respond to what I think you may have meant, as the entire thing reads like a half processed collection of thoughts.

13. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

I'm very glad in Canada all prisons are government run. The prison system seems like a very weird thing to privatize; why and how would you make a profit from it?

I just finished season 3 of Orange is the New Black, in which Litchfield is privatized to save the prison, but then the parent corporation obviously does everything to cut costs at the expense of both inmates and workers. Of course this is a dramatization, but it seems fairly accurate to me.

Poor Caputo.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

State governments and even the federal government outsource some of their prisons to third parties who get paid for the prisoners. It's absurd and wouldn't be profitable without the failed War on Drugs.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anyone here remember when prisons were overcrowded and judges were making room by releasing minor "perps" like marijuana users?

And we thought that was a problem. What we have now is so much worse.

16. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

Maybe you should try to read more carefully before you press reply.

Where did I contradict myself? The war on drugs failed. Legalize and be done with it. Prison population would be cut in half easily.

What does that have to do with murder, rape and other major felonies? The people In prison for these crimes have no rights. These deserve nothing.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Um, wrong. They do have rights. You can't just throw them in a locked room and let them die of starvation. You can't beat them to death. They may not be able to exercise the most important right of humankind ever imagined and carry a firearm, but they have rights.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Minimum occupancy quotas? What frickn idiots signed a contract like that? Could it be the Get Tough On Criminals faction? Even my non-lawyer brain knows this is stupid. It would have been better to have a contract that calls for a minimum operational expense subsidy clause.

By the way, For-Profit prisons is just another step down the we hate government so contractors maintain our standards while solving all our financial issues fantasy.

19. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

You guys are all wrong, corporations can do no wrong and the government screws up everything they do. There is nothing wrong with private prisons.

/sarcasm

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thanks for the spoiler

21. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

You mean to tell me you didnt binge watch it the second it became available? C'mon man, something something it is 2015 dude.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Maybe it's farther down in some peoples queues. Did you think of that before TOTALLY RUINING IT FOR US FOREVER?

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1) If you haven't finished S3, you should've stopped reading after "I just finished season 3 of Orange is the New Black".

2) He didn't spoil anything.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That'd require far more maturity and self control than I possess.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

we have nice new spoiler boxes now ...