prize offered for mac virus

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I hope you're right Nermal because I really can't see the benefit in encouraging virus development. Unless of course it doesn't work in which case the marketing department has some serious fodder for future commercials, not that Apple even has a marketing department (iPod department not withstanding). ;)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Man if this was ture i dont know if I would be pissed off or rolling on the floor laughing thinking that Mac OS X is so secure that there is a contest for someone to make a virus. But either way that would be really weird and hopefully it does not spark any ideas.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It was never a real contest, he planned from the outset to cancel it, with the excuse that they'd come under pressure. It was more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Yeah, apparently it was a publicity stunt by Jack Campbell. I feel bad for the guy, every time his name is mentioned, someone mentions his con-artist past. From what I understand, he really did a 180. Oh well.

Fishes,
narco.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
runninmac said:
Man if this was ture i dont know if I would be pissed off or rolling on the floor laughing thinking that Mac OS X is so secure that there is a contest for someone to make a virus.
don't underestimate the power of the force... or virus writers. someday, on some level, osx will fall to a virus.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Nermal said:
It was never a real contest, he planned from the outset to cancel it, with the excuse that they'd come under pressure. It was more of a publicity stunt than anything else.
Yeah, probably right. A way to scare mac users, or try to, and make us buy anti-virus software. What was up with the symantec double prize? Now I smell a rat.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
No, he is an opportunistic leach. He most likely didn't give a damn about symantec's bottom line. He only cares about his bottom line. Just ignore the fool.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
DVForge, Inc. supports honesty and integrity by manufacturers in all public communication. And, we strongly discourage the use of exaggeration, innuendo, or loosely stated claims in an effort to increase sales of a company's products. We believe in accurate, fair marketing statements, and in allowing an accurately informed public to then make its own decisions about purchasing, or not purchasing, a company's products or services. We implore all Mac industry businesses to support these same values.
So, what the hell went wrong at DVForge to make this publicity stunt?

They must've switched to PCs recently. :D Make sure to e-mail them a virus, people.

Wait, this is the company that makes that crappy two-button mouse, isn't it? Seriously, what was their intention with this stunt?!

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Jack Campbell tries to create jacked up virus

From what I understand, he really did a 180..

From where did you understand this?

He calmed down for a few months, in fact he almost had me (one of his toughest critics) convinced ... but Jack Campbell just couldn't take it ... he had to do this ... illegal stunt.

Solicitation for hacking is illegal. In fact, it's a felony.

It would be comparable to this scenario:

Imagine if I offered $50K to anyone who could prove that the bank down the street wasn't secure.

If people actually took me up on the offer, there would be multiple attempts at bank robbery!!!

If someone were to be successful at creating a malicious security problem for an Apple computer, other hackers could use it to exploit Macs for credit card numbers, passwords, etc etc.

As it stands now, marketshare and the fact Mac OSX is based on Unix BSD is preventing people from having much motivation to writing viruses for the Apple platform. BUT, this contest created motivation!

The contest also was not bonded and may be investigated for fraud based on the insurance liability that it poses.

I also suspect Apple and Symantec may have a claim for libel and slander to throw in to the mix.

For any of you that are aware of my website ... I'm planning a special report on Monday to discuss this issue. www.jackwhispers.com

I am saddened that Jack has chosen this route ... people were just beginning to forget about his past.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i will give a prize to anyone that hacks my mac 83.146.14.213

i will paypal you $20 if you gain root access and leave a txt file at / with your email

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It doesn't sound very smart, to taunt someone to develop a Mac Virus. They just might. Why risk a problem that we don't need. There are always those willing if taunted. Unless its a learning exercise to help the Mac platform in the future.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The guy's an idiot. Perhaps he should have slept on his bright idea another night. Then waking up, he realizes it's such a stupid idea and be grateful he didn't make an ass out of himself. No such luck for this turd.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
I have one piece of advice for you.

Anything having to do with Jack Campbell is a fraud.

I KNOW his past. I will never believe anything he says. I will never buy anything from him or his company DV Forge. I ask all of you to do the same.

I dont even need to go into the reasons why here. Don't even go to his websites, he gets money from the traffic created by these perpetual hoaxes he puts on.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
this shows why better os x then windos is,because Even the idea of a fake contest for vireses on windows would be a joke it would take a secound to do it for windows. Then when the were doing the contest they would think why are we doing this???, There are alread like a million viresus or windows as is.

mocking windows makes it all worth wild :)

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
I contacted bulldogbroadband and had your account canceled effective tuesday. Does that count.

Kidding =)
Or am I?

Hector said:
i will give a prize to anyone that hacks my mac 83.146.14.213

i will paypal you $20 if you gain root access and leave a txt file at / with your email

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
narco said:
Yeah, apparently it was a publicity stunt by Jack Campbell. I feel bad for the guy, every time his name is mentioned, someone mentions his con-artist past. From what I understand, he really did a 180. Oh well.
This contest isn't the only recent activity that suggests there has, sadly, been NO 180. And his con-artist past (including jail time) isn't the end of his unethical business practices--there have been many examples since he started selling Mac stuff--under numerous different names. This is the guy that started a fake rumors site with fake rumors, just do draw people to see ads for his own products. It's the guy who posted a fake bad review of a competitor's product (iTrip) on a supposedly serious site of his own creation--apparently out of spite when Griffin opted not to partner with him (people from Griffin posted their side of things in the YourMacLife forums I recall). It's the guy who often hides the connections between his various ventures, businesses, web sites... and even online identities. (You'll often see several versions of Jack Campbell himself writing in to support the "real" one.) This is the guy who has made up details about the "plate holders" he was selling as laptop stands. (THAT sounds like lying to consumers.)

Most recently, he has started this fake virus contest, and has approached the developer of Hymn about some kind of supposed Microsoft-sanctioned venture in which Jack Campbell's company would create software to encourage the use of protected WMA and let people move iTunes purchases to non-iPod players.

See here:
http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html
and:
http://www.hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=634

And the most revealing statements were from his OWN mouth (even if you choose to ignore lots of scary stuff posted by others) in the YourMacLife forums. I lost my benefit of the doubt for him when reading his own statements justifying his actions. I don't know if the YML forums have those statements archived or not, but they surprised me even after I already knew about his MacWhispers scam. I recall something about him claiming someone was his lawyer, and it was a lie. The lawyer in question was actually, coincidentally, the lawyer of the company (Griffin?) that Jack was lying to! So he got caught, of course. Maybe someone has a link to the full story. It was something ironic like that.

The bottom line is, although he has some truly unique and interesting products that really do (usually) exist--and although his frauds and hoaxes don't tend to be directly against his customers (if you order from him, I expect you'll get the product)--his business ethics are an endlessly repeating bad pattern. His defense doesn't tend to be an apology but rather the claim that deception for business gain is fair game. I've met people like that and would never do business with them. I would certainly never turn over my credit card info or other details.

Maybe after 10 years of no more games, no more stunts, no more hoaxes, fakery and deception... but I'm afraid that 10-year clock has just reset to zero.

I wish he could change. He seems to be a real Mac fan and I'm all in favor of second chances.... but I don't know about ninth chances.

So the way I suggest he get his product ideas out there is to be employed by another company. I'd buy his products if they were made and sold by someone else, and Jack Campbell was not in a position of power in that company. Then he's getting paid for his ideas, and can't do much other harm. But I suspect he wants to remain in charge, and that's not a situation I would risk doing business with.

(Edit: A trivia note: Macs have been worth extra points in underground cracking contests for years.)

Edit 2: I didn't have misgivings about his products themselves (the ones his company really DID design, as opposed to the ones he has claimed were his but in fact were just re-sold). Some of them look neat in pictures. I'm beginning to have doubts about their quality, though: http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/03/jampod/index.php (I suspect that DVForge will repair or replace as needed, but still, that kind of quality control is another strike against them when I'm choosing what to buy.)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Nermal said:
What is the proof on this?

For all too often there are what appears to be good ideas, but once it sees the light of day - you then see or hear of the flaws.