Pro-Gun Republican Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Himself… Again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 22, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

a little light reading for a Wednesday
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/01/22/counceller-accidentally-shoots-self/

David Counceller, a police chief out of the Connersville Police Department in Indiana, didn’t have the greatest of extended weekends over the Martin Luther King holiday. In an epic stroke of irony, one of the often touted “good guys with a gun” managed to accidentally shoot someone: himself. While putting his own weapon back into its holster after comparing it to a newer model, the police chief accidentally caught the 40-caliber Glock on his clothes and shot himself in the leg. They often say there’s a first time for everything, but this definitely wasn’t it for Chief Counceller.
    Counceller making a career out of shooting himself.

Even though Counceller is a veteran of the force, having served over 30 years in his current department alone, some may think it’s understandable to make such a mistake. After all, no one was harmed; so no harm, no foul. Right? Well that would be incredibly easier to believe if the chief hadn’t been in this same situation before. Around 15 years ago, Counceller managed to shoot himself in the hand, and that occurrence seems a bit worse than his latest shooting.

Keep in mind, his first accident occurred 15 years ago, and his police career has been just over 30 years long. This means that this well-trained “good guy with a gun” has managed to shoot himself in 15 year intervals since he got started. What’s even worse than that? His first accident occurred when he failed to check the chamber for a bullet when unloading the gun.

That’s right, Counceller, this well-trained police chief managed to forget to the one thing that you have to do when emptying a gun. Come on chief; you had one job. The absolute best part about this, though, is the fact that Counceller is seeking the Republican nomination for Sheriff in his county. He actually thinks that shooting himself for the second time could be beneficial for his candidacy. He literally said:

“You have to keep your guard up at all times. Some candidates are out there doing things for kids to try to get elected. Me, I shoot myself. What a way to get publicity.”

What’s really sad about this? It’s a Republican primary, so Counceller actually may be right. Come on, a cop with two shootings on his record? Conservative gold.
    Police shooting themselves isn’t isolated.

What’s especially frightening is the fact that the Connersville police chief isn’t an exception to the rule. In fact, police manage to accidentally shoot themselves relatively frequently. In fact, one study on the Los Angeles Police Department between 1985 and 2005 found that police accidentally shot themselves or each other nearly as often as they shot perpetrators. That’s right. Los Angeles, the city often linked to overkill when it comes to shooting suspects (just look at the unarmed mentally ill veteran who was shot while surrendering to LA Police), has police officers who are nearly as dangerous to themselves as they are to crooks.
    Lesson learned.

What should be taken away from this all is the fact that even well-trained officers of the law manage to have accidents with guns. For some reason, though, many states don’t even require training courses for individuals who want to purchase these weapons. Yet every time a child shoots themselves with their parent’s gun or a person kills one of their loved ones on accident, self-proclaimed protectors of the 2nd Amendment claim that it’s due to carelessness on the part of the gun owner.

Really? There are Billy Bobs and Bubbas in America right now whose extent of training is taking themselves out to the woods in the back and shooting Budweiser cans off of the steps of the trailer that used to serve as a meth lab, and they’re claiming that only careless gun owners can be involved in accidents where innocent people get shot? Go tell that to the Connersville police chief.

Until the majority of “good guys with guns” are forced to get at least the amount of training that police, who manage to accidentally shoot people plenty, are getting, I’m pretty sure I’m a bit more scared of the “good guys” who think Friday nights in the woods with Billy Ray constitute adequate training than I am of the bad guys.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

twice :D:D too bad he could not soot off an important part to keep him from reproducing.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Irony...it'll get you every time!:p

Attached Files:

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

With 30 years on the force I believe that ship has sailed. :p

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sounds like he's not a good shot so there might be some luck.

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I understand the levity in a case like this. Unfortunately, accidental discharges sometimes hit someone else:

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-officer-shot-in-Dublin-5163548.php

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm a "Glock guy" and they are not forgiving pistols. If you are stupid you will hurt yourself or someone else.

Glocks are very safe pistols. They have 3 safeties, but if you can't keep your booger hook off the banger switch, expect something hot and fast to happen in your life, and not in a good way.

Cops don't shoot enough to know Glocks and to respect them. Takes time to learn proper trigger discipline and field stripping procedures.

10. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

He's supposed to be one of the "good guy with a gun" that Lame Loppy-Hair at the NRA was referring to right?

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Argument would make sense if police were our best and brightest, in the US, especially the south, that is definitely not the case.

I don't know why being a policeman suddenly makes people think you are a firearms master.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um…no it doesn't.

Hunters safety courses (at least in PA) teach you that stuff and plenty more in 3 days. The army teaches you that in literally a day.

Also I'm not sure where you get that cops don't shoot enough. Every single cop I know is always at the range for both work and fun.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought in some states that police had to have safeties on unless there is somebody threatening them. Also, I know little about firearms, doesn't this story imply that a round was in the chamber? Isn't that rather dangerous as well? Sound to me like it might be time for this guy to retire to a desk job....

14. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I got taught how to shoot and gun safety by an ex-army trainer in a couple of hours.

One on one tutoring is a bit faster. :cool:

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I worked with counter drug for couple of years and I'll tell you, most cops shoot once or twice year for qual unless they are on a tactical team.

And if you think you can learn everything you need know about handling a weapon after one hunter safety course you are wrong to an incredible extent. I've got thousands of hours logged behind the trigger on my own dime and Uncle Sam. It's a constant learning process.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Glocks have 3 safeties. They are all passive and disengage when you pull the trigger. Glock is the ubiquitous cop gun. There are no levers or switches if that's what you are thinking. M&P have a similar design but can have a lever safety as an option. Lots of other guns out there, but on a whole the industry is going more Glock like than 1980's 80 style double/single with external lever for safety.

Personally I prefer passive safety designs.

And I don't claim to know all departments but I've never heard of a cop not carrying with a round in the chamber. No way in hell you'll be able to draw, rack the slide and acquire in a tense situation. May as welll not be carrying at all.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Its why I don't own a glock. Hardcore guys love 'm but their safey system isn't robust. I use Beretta's because of their redundant systems, makes it harder to shoot as fast as a glock but you're less likely to harm yourself or others while handling a weapon with a round in the barrel.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well IMO you are both wrong.:p

A Walther P88 or a SIG 226 Elite are both superior weapons.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And an education and inquisitive mind greater than any weapon.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Austrians do it better...

P88 was a failure and hasn't been sold in like 25 years or more.

SIG 226 nice gun, but old and a throw back to an older era of shooting acumen. SIG has since moved on from the design with the P250, P320 and P2022.

Glock has largely been the same design since they were first sold in the early early 80's, and now just about everyone sells a "Glock style" weapon...including SIG and Walther.

However for those with gun knowledge that ends with the USA military XM-9 trials in 85', sure the Walther P88, SIG 226 and Beretta 92FS/M-9 are fine weapons :p