Pro-life Blogger's baby was a hoax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 12, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This woman needs help.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-baby-hoax-12jun12,0,5601624.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This is a new low. What is wrong with people like this? It's beyond rude. I don't know what to call it. To actually post a photo of a doll and expect people to believe it's a real baby is insane to me.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree this was stupid

however, this caught my eye

held accountable for what? what law did she break?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's what happens when you believe someone's blog on the internets. :D

6. No1451 macrumors 6502

So you do know what to call it:p

This woman is flat out nuts, I really have to wonder why people do things like this, do they really feel they need the attention?

7. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Yeah the pro-death side has never exaggerated (or lied about) anything either-like trying to blame main stream media for the actions of a lunatic in Kansas or another lunatic white supremacist in Washington DC.

There are extremists on both sides of the isle-unfortunately only those on the right side are reported on. Imagine Kieth Olbermann or anyone else on M$NBC reporting that just the other day the "Reverend" Wright claimed that "those Jews" won't let him talk to Obama.

Never gonna happen.

It is time to avoid labels and call a spade a spade. Extremism, no matter where it comes from, is dangerous to all Americans. At one time that actually meant more than ideology or party label.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The article says she didn't break any laws. I think that person wanted to make sure she knows how what she did affected others.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, if she was accepting gifts, web advertising, etc. -- basically if she was profiting off of this scam, she's engaged in fraud. Which is a crime.

Same problem this guy might end up facing.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You're not going to get anywhere in this conversation if you start using idiotic terms like "pro-death". This isn't even about the abortion issue. It's about this woman and the lies she told. This is about a scam artist.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If this lady did have a kid, she would be one of those mom's who poison their kids so they're always sick and people feel sorry for them.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There were some donations and campaign t-shirts. If proceeds had gone to this women then it would be illegal (at least in the UK and am assuming in the US as well). However the article suggests she did not get proceeds herself however it could still be dodgy ground.

Also held accountable does not necessarily mean legally, she exploited many many people's emotion for her emotional gain.

13. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

The fact that you stated she was pro-life was not really relevant either-She is a SCAMMER-her ideology is irrelevant.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope she never does. This kind of thing is just crazy.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry for the tangent, but if i were homeless (as he was) i cant say i wouldnt have tried the same thing he did if it would get me into a home

funny thing is that he probably did alot of goodfor the community and vetern awareness even though he himself was fabricating the story about himself

16. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Notice you didn't actually comment on anything I posted. My point was that pro-life was not relevant.

I did say she is a SCAMMER-what else do you want me to say? Ideology is irrelevant here.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What? Seriously, you'd justify fraud of that nature? What about getting a job instead, rather than lying and thus calling into question the integrity of every other veteran and 9/11 survivor out there?

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree, her view on abortion here is irrelevant. she scammed people

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Lets not have another pro-choice, pro-death, pro-life, anti-choice thread thanks.

20. mac88 macrumors 6502

Wow, she is really out to lunch. I hope someone from her family or friends can guide her into some type of program where her issues can be addressed.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree with you

however, until i am placed in the posistion of living on the streets homeless, i cant tell you what measure i would do to escape that

its easy sitting in a posistion of relative privilege and say i could never do such a thing. im sure its different once one is in that hardship though

also, you quoted me before i edited it but i feel even though he did scam, he probably did a lot of good for veterans awareness in the community

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sorry, but lying for financial gain just isn't an acceptable means to an end.

There are other way out of homelessness. Making up stories about your personal heroism that are completely false is wrong -- and if you profit off it, illegal.

Again, not a justification for what he did.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree with you. just saying when one is desperate, they will most likey do anything to better themselves, even illegal things. i guess im just saying i can sympathize with him although i know what he did is wrong

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Uh oh... you just disqualified yourself from ever being a SCOTUS justice! :p

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Sorry to further the tangent, but wasn't the guy pretending to be a vet someone with a history of mental illness?

Of course, a strong case could be made that this women must also be suffering from something.