Pro-life Congressman urged mistress to get abortion.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 11, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Here's your heaping dose of republican hypocrisy for the day...

Link

Seriously, why do they do things like this? I just don't get it. How can people be so phony?

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Because when you are trying to control the lives of other people the rules don't apply to you.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"morality" is a currency with which to buy votes. Sincerity offers a much lower exchange rate.

4. 184550 Guest

I'd find this relevant if it wasn't a decade ago. :rolleyes:

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

A decade isn't a long time. I highly doubt his view on abortion has changed in the last 10 years. And the point is he's running for reelection today on an anti-abortion platform.

6. 184550, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

184550 Guest

So you think you're the same person now that you were when you were 12/ 13 years old?

I know I'm not. In 2001 I was in middle school. Now I'm in grad school with a whole hell of a lot of life experience behind me and a whole hell of a lot more to come. I doubt I'll be the same person at 37 that I will be at 48.

YMMV.

Ten plus years ago he was a private citizen. If this had taken place during his term, sure go wild with it.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree that people can and do change. But if he gave lip service to being pro-life 10yrs ago, while at the same time trying to talk someone to get an abortion, I don't think it matters that was a private citizen. Does he really believe in pro-life or is he just saying he does to win votes? If he really believes in pro-choice why does he lack the conviction to stand up for what he believes in? If he was pro-choice 10yrs ago but has since had a honest change of heart then I agree with you that it's a non-story.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

It isn't uncommon though for people who are pro-life publically to be so as long as it doesn't affect their own life. This isn't the first instance of someone I've heard that was staunchly pro-life publically yet was involved in fairly recent abortions.

Also, 10 years isn't a long time as an adult, it is definitely a long time for someone from adolescent to adulthood.

Overall, the guy sounds like a sleezebag but hey.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree which is why I was making the distinction between a genuine change of heart (assuming he was pro-choice 10yrs ago) and just paying lip service for political gain.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What's this???

Political expediency?? :eek:

For shame. :(

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

As others have said, the main issue is that he was already making claims about being pro-life at that time. It was a case of saying one thing and doing another.

I also wanted to point out that while you're correct that people's views change over time, your comparisons are a bit slanted. You're drawing comparisons between people when they're children (young teens) and when they're young adults. While people will change throughout their lives, the rate of change usually slows down rather dramatically once you reach adulthood.

12. 184550 Guest

Maybe you can quote where in the article it states what his political views were back in 2001? I can't seem to find it.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Divorced. Mistress pregnant. Urged (foisted?) abortion on said mistress.

Makes sense that this person would comment on the morality of any other human being's actions. :rolleyes:

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It doesn't. I misread a post that was made earlier.