pro-life group banned from canadian university- more liberal tolerance at its finest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Nov 18, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Students+union+shuts+anti+abortion+views/3846593/story.html

"It's once again a silencing of a certain opinion on campus that perhaps people don't hold, or perhaps people do hold," said James Shaw, vice-president of the club. "Apparently that viewpoint is not allowed on campus, to exist as a club on campus."

Losing the status of an official club will cost Carleton Lifeline its usual funding -- probably a few hundred dollars. But the main issue is access to space for spreading the club's views.

"We don't get access to any rooms on campus, or to book tables on campus," he said.

some notable liberal terrorist clubs that get funding!
    Ahmadiyya Muslim Student Association
    Communist Party of Canada
    Equal Voice - Carleton Chapter[how ironic]
    Free Thought
    Marxist Student Association
    Muslim Students Association
    New Democratic Party (CU NDP
    Saudi Student Association

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

"In October, the university called police to deal with a protest using graphic images of abortion, and five club supporters were charged with trespassing."

That may have had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I wasn't aware that the NDP, a major political party in Canada, was considered a terrorist group. Or really, any of the groups listed. Free thought? Muslim Student Association? Are you kidding?

4. Queso macrumors G4

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

6. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

they were peacefully setting up displays to teach people about abortion.

is free speech banned now too?

7. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

How are you defining those clubs as terrorist groups?

8. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Apparently people, students and faculty in particular, didn't find the images peaceful. When asked to take them down out of concerns of taste, the pro-lifers started a ruckus. Enter the police.

If they can't play nice, they don't get to play. Free speech doesn't give you license to be a dirtbag.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Apparently from the 5 minutes I spent reading your posts and threads today, only free speech that you don't like should be banned right? :rolleyes:

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, how did that language get in the Carleton University Students' Association Constitution?

11. Queso macrumors G4

It's important to see where the quote marks lie in those paragraphs.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I noticed that too. But there should be some technicality on which the club is no longer welcome. I doubt if we'll see the actual constitution though.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm most university limit free speech to certain areas of campus only.
    A policy I fully support provided the free speech areas on reasonable areas.
    I know at Texas Tech they had a few free speech areas and were they were located was very good. It were students would tend to if they had time to kill between classes or were going up for something other than going to class. They did not allow free speech in the spaces between different buildings that contain class rooms. They did not want to interrupt people traveling from one class to another. This is good because I can tell you when I was going from one class to the next I did not care nor want to deal with things getting in the way of my travel. So they located them in places were student could look at it and would travel threw it when they were not in a rush.

That was at least for the protest and things you wanted foot traffic. Some of the others were a little more out of the way but were great for holding events like things for food. Again they did not want travel between class impeded in any way.

14. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Actually I think being a dirty bag Is protected by free speech. But I'm refering to how things work in America. There is a prolife group that comes to my school once a year and puts up a 50 foot tall 20 foot wide three sided thing with huge, and extremely graphic photos of aborted fetus'. They don't get kicked off. My university is as liberal as any other, and it flies (somehow).

Personally I think it's extremely ridiculous and I don't wanna see that stuff on my way to campus. I have a strong stomach and an understanding of the sciences so blood and stuff doesn't get to me, but I'm sure alot of people feel real sick inside... And I guess that's the point.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ I think in this case they were getting violent, that's what I thought he was saying was unacceptable.

16. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does canada have the same laws regarding free speech as the us? I mean why do I sense all this talk about US law when about a different country?

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

umm watching the video they broke several rules.

They were not in the free speech area on campus and that is a set rule most have that they limit free speech to certain areas on campus. A rule I fully support.

And yes they require permits to be able to use it but again easy to get them and mostly they do that for logistical reasons to make sure that it does not become over crowded at any moment in time. Pretty easy to get them.

I have gone threw the process more than one while I was at TTU and I have seen the question they ask people apply for them. Everything they really has is for logistical reasons to make sure traffic flow is not mess with. Make sure their is enough room for other events going on in the area and so on.

They broke those rules. They were arrested and if it was a supported event by the group then it is even more so a reason to can them. I know TTU has some pretty set rules and they have axed more than one group while I was there.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I misread the thread, sorry.

20. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Jack Layton had us all fooled!

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Good, I'm glad this university put it's foot down against pro life loons. Maybe they just got sick of some group and their holier than thou attitude trying to tell people what to do. It's just like shut the hell up nobody gives a crap. Abortion will never be illegal so get over it.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Where did "liberal tolerance" (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) come into this? :confused:

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think it was meant to be sarcasm. Note how the OP directly equates "liberal" with "terrorist".

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd have a lot more respect for the OP if he actually stuck around to debate his points rather than throwing bombs and running away... kinda like a terrorist would.

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Never should have trusted a man with a mustache.