Pro Mac Photo Summary

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,506
1,789
MacRumors received a copy of this PDF on Friday, Jul 19, 2002 claiming to be a diagram of an upcoming PowerMac G4 design.

While trying to verify the information in the PDF, the author posted a thread with the PDF, while MacBidouille posted actual photos which corresponded with the images found in the PDF.

Meanwhile, a MacRumors source confirmed the authenticity of the enclosure, and Apple Legal requested the removal of these images hosted on MacRumors.

Update: The case appears to match various specs that were rumored to be on Prototype cases including white speaker, front mounted headphone jack, 4x512MB RAM, new motherboard, bays for two optical drives.
 

dsamsa

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2002
18
0
Fairbanks, Alaska (USA)
I guess this confirms the authenticity of the photo! Damn, I was wishing that was a prototype. I hope Apple doesn't use that ugly front part... But if it comes with a G5, WHO CARES?!?!:D
 

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
4,206
0
San Destin Florida
Well, I guess we know that it has some authenticity. Don't know if it was a prototype, or if it is the one. Time will tell. If it is the one, do you think Steve will switch it?
 

TechKid

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2002
11
0
with such a big heat sink and emphasis on air flow, do you think they're just gonna overclock the current G4 chips to squeeze more life out of 'em?

Thoughts?
 

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
2,853
0
behind you
is it getting hot in here?


Well, there certainly are a bunch of rumors flying around...

The consumers are restless.....Apple is waiting....

we saw what may be the case....but what will be inside? who knows? That is the question....


But the bigger question is: WHEN?????
 

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
978
0
Nashvegas
yeah, I think the heat sink has something to do with the chip, either overclocking or just a new chip all together, one that runs hotter but faster.
 

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,010
4
Germany
Around the corner...

Originally posted by teabgs
is it getting hot in here?

Well, there certainly are a bunch of rumors flying around...

The consumers are restless.....Apple is waiting....

we saw what may be the case....but what will be inside? who knows? That is the question....

But the bigger question is: WHEN?????
Ok, let´s sum up those rumors once more:

1. The eBay Mobo is very possibly for real. It has DDR Slots and a mysterious connector that is supposed to be Firewire2

2. Apple Legal pulled the picture of the Prototype Case and the pdf describing it indicates a mucho faster/hotter CPU. Aquacooling would probably be too expensive.

3. The PMacs are highly anticipated and it would be a great "coincidence" for them to appear parallel to Jaguar, say around Aug.20th...

4. :D I´ve had a ViSiOn of a snow-white El Capitan-PMac feat. a "G5" on the side :D :D :D

But this may also belong to MWSF...
 

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
621
0
Memo to Apple:

Go ahead and pull the rumor site's press passes for the trade shows. Apparently we already know what is going to happen before the show anyway.

On a different note, does Time lose their press pass, now that they have joined the ranks of a rumor site? J/K But seriously, if you hang around this site long enough, occassionally, you get a little gem like this.

Arn, this last story almost makes me want to buy a mug.
 

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
2,853
0
behind you
Originally posted by buffsldr
Memo to Apple:

Go ahead and pull the rumor site's press passes for the trade shows. Apparently we already know what is going to happen before the show anyway.

On a different note, does Time lose their press pass, now that they have joined the ranks of a rumor site? J/K But seriously, if you hang around this site long enough, occassionally, you get a little gem like this.

Arn, this last story almost makes me want to buy a mug.
ALMOST?!?! to each his own. You dont have to buy a mug to help support the site you know. You could just donate some $$$ or buy something else from the store...it all helps arn out. I dont want this thread to turn into a recruiting thing but remember where you're getting your inside info from people ;)

Please dont reply to this...stick to the rumors...they're a much better topic of conversation, sorry to have sidetracked...


Anyone feel like the new towers are being announced soon? Not necessarily shipping right away, but announced...?
 

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
621
0
Originally posted by teabgs


ALMOST?!?! to each his own. You dont have to buy a mug to help support the site you know. You could just donate some $$$ or buy something else from the store...it all helps arn out. I dont want this thread to turn into a recruiting thing but remember where you're getting your inside info from people ;)

Please dont reply to this...stick to the rumors...they're a much better topic of conversation, sorry to have sidetracked...

Yes, teabgs, it almost does. Relax, fella.
 

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,010
4
Germany
Originally posted by teabgs


Anyone feel like the new towers are being announced soon? Not necessarily shipping right away, but announced...?
I say, as stated above, announced and shipping when Jaguar makes its debut...
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,913
25
Ha ha haaa!
Okay, this is the type of dirt that makes me forget the whole .Mac and Jaguar price crap and just remember how fun it is to be where the rumors be. :) I've sure missed this!

Okay, so now... where's the specs? Wherever these pics/diagrams came from, the guy didn't include the specs? That's a little odd... or am I missing something here? :confused:
 

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
344
0
Big Shoulders
Originally posted by Hemingray
Okay, this is the type of dirt that makes me forget the whole .Mac and Jaguar price crap and just remember how fun it is to be where the rumors be. :) I've sure missed this!

Okay, so now... where's the specs? Wherever these pics/diagrams came from, the guy didn't include the specs? That's a little odd... or am I missing something here? :confused:
No you didn't miss anything. He busted outta here before dropping the spec bomb. Thank groovebuster for that one. ;) :p

Although the french site did say that the SDRAM was, in fact, DDR SDRAM (although the google translation was junk, and translated it to GDR) :rolleyes:
 

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,010
4
Germany
Now that!

Originally posted by iH8Quark


No you didn't miss anything. He busted outta here before dropping the spec bomb. Thank groovebuster for that one. ;) :p

Although the french site did say that the SDRAM was, in fact, DDR SDRAM (although the google translation was junk, and translated it to GDR) :rolleyes:
:D Darn Groovebuster :D But hey, Apple pulled the material from the french site too! Now this was some hot info!
 

MacRumorSkeptic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
111
0
Southern California
Its probably all fake. Before apple legal had the french site take the pics down I translated it. macbidouille.com says it got the pictures from spymac.com while spymac says it got them from macbidouille.com

I wouldnt be surprised if its a pretty well done photoshop job, or someone actually took the time to build a fake prototype from an existing G4 throwing plastic wrap around it to look legit. Remember, apple legal supposedly ordered the iwalk photos and movies to be taken down as well.
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,913
25
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Now that!

Originally posted by Stike
But hey, Apple pulled the material from the french site too! Now this was some hot info!
:eek: Damn that was fast...

And as for the whole DDR thing, I was wondering what the hell GDR was...
 

sergeantmudd

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2002
33
0
Video Card

That copyright date really worries me. I see no logically reason that a prototype box would have any parts from 2001. I am wondering what the graphics card in it was. I assume Apple would use the most powerful cards available when it ships these out, and if it is indeed a GeForce 3 or something, we would know that it is from 2001. All we have now are the pictures to comb over.

Oh yeah, it's not a GeForce2 MX....
Also, what's that green card across the bottom of the center photo, it's huge.
And why isn't this thing red like the eBay board?
 

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,010
4
Germany
Re: Re: Now that!

Originally posted by Hemingray


:eek: Damn that was fast... looks like I DLed the pics just in time! :cool: Apple Legal, you can take down the sources, but you can't take down what's on my hard drive. :D

And as for the whole DDR thing, I was wondering what the hell GDR was...
Hemingray Braveheart-Style: They can´t take our freedom! (to download)

:D GDR = Giga Data Rate :D 1000 MHz RAM !;)
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
GDR has been discussed already. It's the french version of DDR.

As for translations, I still recommend Babelfish. Google just doesn't cut it.

>Remember, apple legal supposedly ordered the iwalk photos and movies to be taken down as well.

Great point. But, remember, we haven't heard of much news, if any, about the details of a PDA, from news sites or what have you. I think these were just to keep people from trying to give people ideas and steal Apple's spotlight IF they come out with a PDA. But the PowerMac is different, since you have rumors of all sorts going about constantly.
 

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
2,219
2
Austin, TX
ooh, the rumors, the intrigue, the mystery, the suspense, the ketchup...

There is one thing that you have to remember, though. Apple cases always look kinda funny when you first see them. When I first saw the quicksilver (not those rumor pics, but the ones on Apple's site) I wasn't really impressed, until I saw the thing for real...

Just remember guys, it's what's on the inside that counts the most, even though as Mac users, we take great pride in how good our Macs look...
 

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
172
0
NJ
i dissagree, apple simply would not release a machine that ugly. i think the posters of the image cut and pasted that apple cease and dissist document on their site to make it look more authentic, that g4 wasnt even symetrical and totally goes against every design standard the apple design team has.
 

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
2001 makes perfect sense.

You guys still don't get it, do you?

Thats how LONG APPLE has been sitting on DDRam!

Thats how long in advance APPLE has to plan out.

Imagine APPLE sitting on DDRam all these years while Wintel just cranks them out!

How does that make you feel, imagine all the money they made holding that tech back from us, makes you think doesnt it?:eek:
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
Originally posted by MacRumorSkeptic Its probably all fake. Before apple legal had the french site take the pics down I translated it. macbidouille.com says it got the pictures from spymac.com while spymac says it got them from macbidouille.com
Probably because neither site wants to bear the full brunt of the Apple legal dept. :D :D

I don't think the tower looks that bad. But then again, I'm not buying it for the looks. :rolleyes:

And to the people who are saying that Apple would not release something that ugly etc. Remember the Flower Power and Dalmatian iMacs and the Key Lime iBooks? Ugh.