Pro-McCain Pastor defies tax-laws and "preaches" his endorsement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Should politics be pushed from the Pulpit? This election cycle, we know it started coming up with the Rev. Wright sermons, where the IRS investigated claims that Wright shown bias towards Obama in his sermons and distributed literature inappropriately, and we also saw a Bishop refuse communion to a politician who had endorsed Obama.

Well... now things are getting serious. After James Dobson, popular host of "Focus on the Family" criticised Obama's faith-themed speech to a liberal Christian group "Call for Renewal", he was assailed by a group of religious figures that began a website called "JamesDobsonDoesntSpeakForMe.com" to counter his claims. It seemed clear that Obama's appeal to the religious community had injected a very real and credible threat to the core of conservative America.

As such, some pastors have just decided to take it to the NEXT LEVEL. They're challenging the IRS rules on non-political speech in retaining their tax-free status.

Partisan Sunday Sermons Test Federal Tax Laws
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122265357171384405.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
    And its happening elsewhere:
    It seems this fight is one some religious leaders feel it would be far too damaging to lose. With the Supreme Court being SO CLOSE to becoming entirely conservative... winning the White House would be their best bet for eliminating "abortion" at the Federal level (reversing Roe v Wade once and for all), and locking in their concept of a moral America, from a soley ideological basis, in White House. It was this battle of "good versus evil" that got Bush elected twice. The case is once again being pressed harder than ever.

~ CB

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

it really pisses me off when these people try and pull sh*t like this. I dont care who your voting for mr minister you do not get to break the law. Religion has infiltrated our politics for far to long (look at all the god speak at both conventions).

shouldnt they be busy touching little children like a "true christian" ?:mad:

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I agree with your post, but would also add this. Hitherto, the religious right has been a unified voting block. As such, dorks like Dobson have gained far more importance than their twisted minds actually deserve. if they star being perceived as only representing a smaller group, and not totally unified, their national power will be reduced proportionally. That would be a bitter pill to swallow.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

A minister endorsing a candidate on his own time - perfectly fine.

A minister endorsing a candidate on his church's time - not fine, and said church should lose their tax-exempt status until they sack the minister, punt him out the door, and find someone who can play by the rules.

5. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Do you think there's enough political will to strip a church of its tax-exempt status? Does anyone think we're on the edge of a precipice here? I mean, there's no two ways about it. They want this to be decided in their favor, and then its GAME ON for politics and religion! That just seems like the ultimate "F-U" to the fabric of our culture here in America. I mean, pretense aside, if religious leaders could endorse and promote candidates... I'm sure they'll be some resistance inside the church, but if you thought churches were corrupt before... you haven't seen anything yet.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iOglIxiBY7ZLeg1lwDIiP5kwkcuAD93GK2BG0

~ CB

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I was shocked when I got to Mass the other week and there were signs up endorsing two propositions on the ballot in November. Apparently (at least in California) you can endorse propositions as a church, but not candidates. I had no idea. I was happy that our priest merely urged us to do a lot of praying and before casting our vote, and he definitely didn't say it in any way that could be construed as a pitch for one candidate or the other.

These guys, though, should most definitely lose their tax-exempt status.

Propositions: eh... maybe?
    Candidates: Definitely no.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- time to pay the tax man. And hell yes, there's the political will to strip these people of their exemption.

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

A series of awesome rebuttals to this protest. I like this one best.
    She goes right to the heart of equal treatment for religious and non-religious groups. Boom. Can't get clearer than that.
    http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/texas-faith-should-we-allow-po.html

~ CB

9. Queso macrumors G4

Why the silence from the Scientologists? Surely they would like to tell us who to vote for?

;)

10. Motley macrumors 6502

A vote for Obama is a vote for Xenu?

11. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Just for clarification, by "tax exempt" we're talking about not only an institution not having to pay taxes, but also people who contribute donations to that institution to be able to write off those donations as well, right?

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yes. At least that's the proper interpretation.

As a 501c3, donors to these churches can deduct their donations, but lobbying is restricted. As a 501c4, which these churches are approaching, they may lobby, but donors cannot deduct their donations. However, the churches would be able to lobby just like any other tax exempt organization.

Organizations like AOPA, the NRA and moveon.org are 501c4s

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm guessing these guys think that with the recent tilt of the SCOTUS to the right, that now is the time to rock this boat and see if they can get a favorable ruling before a potential Obama presidency has a chance to put his imprint on the Court.