Pro-Rated AppleCare+ Refund

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jarbro, Sep 18, 2012.

1. jarbro macrumors newbie

Just found this out and thought it was worth sharing.

Have an iPhone 4s with AppleCare+ on it and already ordered yourself an iPhone 5?

You are eligible for a pro-rated refund from Apple on your AppleCare+! Call AppleCare and ask for agreement administration. Based on how much time is left on your contract they will either credit your credit card or mail you check for the amount left on your agreement.

Pretty cool of Apple to do if you ask me.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

cool yes. but somewhat standard practice in regards to extended warranties.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nice to know. If updated iPads are released, I plan to trade up.

4. benfica88 macrumors regular

Actually...
    (ii) With Transfer From Original Covered Equipment to New Covered Equipment. You may
    make a one time, permanent transfer of the coverage under the Plan to a new Apple
    product that is owned and purchased by you within thirty (30) days of the Covered
    Equipment purchase. The new product must be eligible for coverage under the Plan and
    at the time of transfer both products must be covered under the manufacturer’s one (1)
    year limited warranty. Apple will issue a Plan Confirmation for the new product, which
    will then become the Covered Equipment. When notifying Apple of the transfer, you
    must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers and Proof of Purchase of
    the products being transferred by sending or faxing, where available, notice of transfer
    to Apple as set forth in the section immediately above.

5. krizko macrumors regular

Does this somehow mean we can transfer our iPhone 4S AppleCare+ over to our iPhone 5?

6. appswipe macrumors 6502

Thanks! That's my biggest regret with trading in my 4S and why I was going to go square trade for the 5. We have two AppleCare+ warranties so if we an get it prorated then were definitely buying AppleCare again.

7. benfica88 macrumors regular

Yes.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Yes, but then you would have just 1 year of AppleCare+ coverage.

I personally just got a new AppleCare+ plan as my 4S is going to the wife, so it will be nice to have her be covered until next year.

If it weren't for that, I'd almost opt for that option since I rarely keep anything more than a year (and for those curious how, I do pay full price for the phones when not eligible for upgrades).

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Note the pro-rated refund is net of a $10 charge. I'm transferring the 4S AppleCare+ warranty to the person buying it from me, which is also allowed. I haven't decided yet whether to purchase AppleCare+ for the iPhone 5. Plus, if I can get an off-contract iPhone 5 before the 14th, I'll go ahead and return the one I'm getting Friday and go back off-contract with AT&T (and get the phone unlocked). Too bad I can't just pay AT&T the $450 to unlock it and go back off contract. That would be too simple, I guess.

----------

Which is just fine if you plan to trade up to the "5S" next year. Note that this works only if less than a year elapses until you get the new phone, as both the old and new product must be covered under the 1 year warranty. I think the provision is there mostly to permit people who bought an item with the warranty to transfer it to a new product in case they need to exchange it.

10. krizko macrumors regular

Wow, thanks guys. This is great info I'd have never known on my own.

11. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

those terms are for the old Applecare. Not for AppleCare+ ... I read the terms on AppleCare+ and I cannot find this option.

12. benfica88 macrumors regular

Crap, did they change it? Is customer service not aware? I know someone I had previously read of people transferring.

13. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

You can ONLY have it transferred if you purchased the two iPhones within 30 days of each other. Otherwise, they can refund you a partial amount.

14. appswipe macrumors 6502

Does anyone have experience with a prorated AppleCare+?

I submitted my claim to prorate AppleCare+ for my two iPhone 4S's (10/13/11) but the rep couldnt give me a quote on the refund because he said it has to be reviewed and I'll get a letter in 10 days.

With no AC+ usage then Im hoping for 50% back like SquareTrade does, but Ive read a few posts saying people are getting a very small amount back so their prorated formula goes beyond just splitting time/cost.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple is hardly being cool here. They are simply following state regulations on service contracts, which is what AppleCare is.

16. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

requested a refund from my 4s apple care 6 weeks ago, still waiting