Prob w/ IOS7 connecting to phonebook via Bluetooth in automobile

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Taxer, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Taxer macrumors newbie

I have been able to search my iPhone phonebook in my car (a Mercedes C300) via Bluetooth till now. I installed IOS 7 and have updated it to 7.0.2 (the current build). Now when I give the verbal command "Find Name," the response is "The phonebook is empty." I deactivated my iPhone on the car and deactivated the car on the iPhone and then reconnected them. The problem persisted. Has anyone else encountered this (or a similar) issue? Any solution? Thanks.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

try restarting your phone. My VW Touareg does that sometimes too.

3. Taxer thread starter macrumors newbie

still not working

Thanks, Armen. Tried that and still not connecting to contacts.

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Folks had similar issues with iOS 6 because the car hardware needed an update. Might be the case now also

5. selliott macrumors member

I have a ford explorer, but had the same issue where the phone was connected but after the update to iOS 7 the phone book was empty.

I was able to get it restored by disconnecting both (forgetting the device/car), and then reconnecting. The phone book was downloaded again and everything is working.

Know it is a different brand of car, but that might work.

6. Taxer thread starter macrumors newbie

The fix failed for me

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried that approach (uncoupling the phone at both the iPhone and auto) with high hopes. Disappointment.

7. FoxFifth, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I have a 2011 C350 and iPhone 4 with 7.0.2 and "Find Name" and "Dial Name" will only search contacts that have been manually loaded into the car's phonebook. For me that hasn't changed since the prior version of iOS. I even had to go back to my old Motorola Razr to upload contacts one at a time into the car.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Your car does not auto-download the phonebook each time it connects ?

When connected, go into your phone's Bluetooth settings, tap the bluetooth connection to your car, allow permission to download the phonebook.

9. FoxFifth, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

FoxFifth macrumors 6502

Edit -- see posts below -- it only searches the car's phonebook and will not search the iPhone contacts or allow the iPhone contacts to download.

Original post:
    I'm not sure exactly what it is doing and will have to spend some time playing with it. The thing I did find out is that it doesn't change the list of contacts that are displayed in the car's phonebook display but it will find and call contacts that are in the iPhone Contact list but are not displayed in the car contact list.

Rather than downloading the phonebook I'm thinking of deleting all of the contacts I manually entered to the car a couple of years ago and just let it use the iPhone contacts. I don't really care whether or not they are in the car's phonebook as long as I can use the car's voice commands to make the calls.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have Ford Sync.
    It auto downloads all my contacts instantly as the phone connects (permissions set to on in Bluetooth settings).

So everything in the phone is available to handsfree in the car.

11. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I modified my original post above. After some further testing I realized it is still only searching the car's phonebook and not the iPhone contacts. I went into the phone's settings for the bluetooth connection to the car and there is no ability to allow permission to download. The phonebook automatically downloads on my wife's new Ford Fusion but not on the 2011 Mercedes which is a bit obsolete in the technology department.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hopefully they will allow that in an update for the car's Bluetooth firmware.

13. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

What model year is your C300?

14. Taxer thread starter macrumors newbie

Model year

FoxFifth -- My car is a 2012 C300.

Re Mercedes updating its firmware, do you know if they can do that automatically and remotely or must I bring the car to the dealer for this?

Thanks.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Call your dealer's service dept.

Most allow updating via firmware downloaded to USB

16. FoxFifth, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

FoxFifth macrumors 6502

The 2011 C350 will only call numbers in its phone book and will not download numbers from the iPhone. Next time I go in for service I'm going to see if they can update it. As far as I'm aware the only update you can do yourself is for the maps. That is for a substantial fee from a DVD. Ford on the other hand allows update downloads to USB from their website.

Edit: I just checked the Mercedes website and it states the the 2011 C class will not import contacts from an iPhone and will not use the contacts on the iPhone. That changed in 2012 model year where it should display the contacts from the iPhone memory. No mention of any update for the 2011 but I will call them. Ford is making them look bad!