Probably going to buy the new 17" MBP - anything I really need to know?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cattywampus_, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

Hey there,

So I think i'm going to swap my 13" Macbook Aluminum for a Macbook Pro 17". Main reason is the bigger screen. I've started playing games on my Macbook and extra screen space and better GFX would be great.

Are there any bugs or things that are being critisied on the latest revision?

Many thanks.

2. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

oh yes....

you should now that your choice is perfect!!!!:D

matte or glossy?
    congrats!

3. frou macrumors regular

frou

The only thing I'm aware of is that they are not using the the very latest 2.8 GHz CPU that Intel offers, which is slightly more efficient in terms of heat/battery.

No big deal at all. Order it and enjoy.

4. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Glossy. Prefer the colours on Glossy over Matte.

Hopefully be ordering in the next couple of weeks :)

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

The 17" is a nice choice no matter what screen you choose :D I like both but bought the glossy. Most important thing is you're going to be very happy, now just make sure you have a nice bag cause you'll want to show it off ;)

6. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL I hear that. They are very expensive - but I've had 2 15" MBPs and 3 MBs and all of them ave been well worth their money.

7. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I got my 17" MBP with Matte screen for $2150 and a free iPod.

You'll love it. I don't mind the glossy on my 13" MBP, but with the huge screen the 17" Glossy bugged me. Employees at the Apple Store said they preferred Matte as well.

8. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

For anyone interested...

Placed an order today for a Macbook Pro 17" 2.8/4GB/500 GB 5400rpm etc etc - the standard config bascially. Went with glossy. I have a Macbook Alu 13" at the mo and I like the glossy screen.

I ordered it from MacWarehouse. I was skeptical about ordering from them after reading their customer service was a bit naff - one commenter saying along the lines of if you have a problem with an order, its gonna take ages to sort out with them. However, they could guarentee to get it to me the next day. The guy who took my order was a nice guy - very helpful - was done and dusted in 10mins and the computer was despatched a couple of hours later. So tomorrow it should arrive. I like to think that for every one disgruntled customer there are 1000 satisfied ones.

Anyone had any dealings with MacWarehouse?

Will post my thoughts on it tomorrow ;)

9. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Nice. I just ordered mine today from apple. BTO with 7200RPM 500 GB HDD(they should seriously make that the default stock...It's only $40 extra). Total came out to under $2100 after ADC discount. Anyone know if you can combine ADC with the free ipod promotion?

10. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

yea its only $40 extra BUT U WAIT ONE WEEK MORE but worth the wait i get mine tomorrow :D

11. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL. I am proper bad for that. Once I decide I want it, I want it now. I would have liked to have the 7200rpm HDD, but that meant waiting a week as you say. The HDD is something that I can upgrade myself... I am probably going to buy an SSD in a year or so when prices come down and sizes go up so its no biggie for me.

12. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

yea i got the matte screen so think thats y i have to wait over a week :mad:

13. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bah, a full day at work (someone home to get the parcel) and still not here! The courier assures me it is definately going to be delivered today. I must be right on the end of the run.

Anxiously watching the window and hoping ever van that goes by is the one lol. Sad :)

14. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Hopefully it happens. IMO, FedEx is horrible. I was scheduled to get my MBP on Wednesday, call Thursday and it was pushed back until today. It was delivered today, but to the building next to mine (2nd time they've done that).

15. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I got the Matte, and love it! I'll probably upgrade the hard drive later. Super happy with it.

16. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Where did you get this price? After selling the Touch that would be even better then the ADC price.

17. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it! :)

Arrrived just after 5pm.

Have to say i'm struggling with the size! Not that I regret buying it, but just using it on my lap like I did with my 13" is weird. The screen feels huge as well. I use a 24" screen on my Hackintosh that is 1920x1200. On the 17" the res makes the screen feel bigger than it is.

Still installing stuff - will report more back later :)

18. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

i did the same thing all day had today day off work :D it was delivered at 1.30 here in Ireland its now 2.20am and im only getting to no how to work it lol its my mirst mac :D

19. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah get the shock paddles ready to resuscitate your wallet.

21. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Nice buy, congrats.

22. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a