Probably My PowerMac G4 (2001) Died, Still Want to Use My 22" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by astrostu, Aug 2, 2010.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

So, I think my PM G4 finally died. I had been using it as a media annex (not center) in my living room since my 22" Apple Cinema Display still works fine. Now I'm stuck with a 22" monitor that can't be connected to anything.

I've been looking into what can be done. Based on an Apple Support Document, there is a M8661LL/A part called "Apple DVI to ADC Adapter" that I think will do the trick. If I get it, I should be able to hook my PowerBook G4 up to it, right?

If so, the next task is to find the sucker. Searching online for the part number didn't yield much, but I did find a nearly identical product number, the M8661LL/B on Amazon for $90 (yikes!!). The only difference is the suffix letter. But I don't know enough about this to really know if it'd work.

Advice on what to do with this monitor would be appreciated!

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I'd be surprised if the one in the Amazon didn't work. I have one connected to my non ADC video card and a 17" ADC monitor. The extra letter maybe just indicates a revision change that doesn't alter its functionality.

3. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Based on some of the reviews I saw, it should work.

Now the question is ... is it worth buying a $90 converter for a 22", 300:1 contrast, 180 cd/m^2, 25-lb monitor, or is it worth spending $200 on a new 24", 1000:1 contrast, 300 cd/m^2, 12-lb monitor? Hmmmm.