Probably the only time I'll ever make any sort of reference to Wikipedia in a post

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ttownbeast, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Why? It's not accurate / valid enough for you?

I wouldn't use it for a school paper, nor at work, but for arguing in the PRSI, it's more than enough.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Wikiphobe. :rolleyes:

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

For PRSI it's quite high standards.

5. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Why?

If the sources used to build the Wikipedia entry are solid then what's the problem?

It always comes down to what external sources are being quoted in the Wiki article, these help determine the accuracy of the info being presented.

Quoting Wiki links along with other well researched sources is the best approach IMHO.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7. Ttownbeast thread starter macrumors 65816

More from CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/08/03/fbi.seal.wikipedia/index.html
    I think its pretty funny stuff either way--kind of like watching a retard and a midget getting in a fist fight.

On the one hand you have a government agency overly paranoid about the misusage of their crest who cannot get compliance from a website that I know from experience has quickly folded to the demands of private organizations.

Here is one such example of a debacle one organization started and eventually bullied Wikipedia into crumbling on:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070821/170354.shtml

If you have the other sources that the wiki links use (if the given the wiki happens to be accurate) then why bother using the wiki link? Wouldn't it just be better to draw from the sources the wiki used?

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Because the wiki offers a much more concise view on the subject. It's much faster to reference to a single wiki page than to reference to dozens of other pages (after having read all of them).

In some cases there are over 100 references on a single article.

9. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Because often Wikipedia offers a clean, concise summary of all the external links and also may contain insights and conclusions that I may not have drawn from just researching all the links. It is in essence a pretty good research summary of many references gathered all in one place that has had at least some cursory editing and review from Wiki staff.

It's simply an additional tool to aid whatever research I am doing and I have found it to be a useful one at that.

That about sums it up. I didn't see your reply until I had written my own. :rolleyes:

10. Ttownbeast thread starter macrumors 65816

So it's the digital equivalent to "Cliffs Notes" or the Encyclopedia for Dummies?:rolleyes:

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Sure, what's wrong with that? It's not like the Cliff's Notes version of Twelfth Night is full of lies or inaccuracies.

I think that the FBI is just confusing WikiLeaks with Wikipedia.;)

12. ranguvar macrumors 6502

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well its supposed to be as reliable as Britannica.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Wiki

I use Wikipedia as a sort of "Starting point" when I am trying to learn about something.

I also use it to look into paranormal phenomena ;)

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What's wrong with newsmax and breitbart? :D

Sounds like the FBI is mainly concerned about somebody using the image to create false IDs so they can pass themselves off as FBI agents. I guess it would come in handy for con artists.

On the other hand, it seems silly to worry about Wikipedia when a high quality version of the FBI logo is readily available.

16. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Its not like there are dozens if not hundreds of other sources people could get the picture from. Wiki just happens to be obvious