Probe hours away from Saturn moon landing

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Barely over 12 hours away, and about 19 hours until data and pictures start (hopefully) coming back.

From CNN:
The Huygens probe will plunge through the orange clouds of Saturn's moon Titan Friday, offering scientists their first glimpse of the mysterious moon.

"It's going to be the most exotic place we've ever seen," said Candice Hansen, a scientist for the Cassini-Huygens mission. "We've never landed on the surface of an icy satellite. We know from our pictures that there are very different kinds of geological processes."

If all goes well, the saucer-shaped Huygens will enter the thick atmosphere of Titan Friday at about 5:13 a.m. (ET). The data should start trickling in about five hours later.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I remember when they launched Cassini way back in '97 (had to look up the date). They were talking about sending probes to Titan in 7 years etc. That is a LONG time for one mission! Of course, Voyager beats the pants off it. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm really looking forward to the images, much more so than the ones we've had from Mars over the past year. This is unknown territory, and it should be quite an event. I just hope everything goes well.

D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Let's hope everyone is using the same system of weights and measures this time...

I can't wait to see either, this kind of stuff is so cool. Much to be learned from this.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
i like many will be up watching!

have you heard the comet blaster is up and on the way, they predict the impact may be seen from the earth as a bright flash.

link
Because of the relative speed of the two objects at the moment of impact — 23,000 mph — no explosives are needed for the job. The force of the smashup — set for the Fourth of July — will be equivalent to 4 1/2 tons of TNT, creating a flash that just might be visible in the dark sky by the naked eye like a spectacular fireworks display.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
signals coming through, should start receiving images around 10:30 EST.

Should be VERY cool!

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
the webcast is to resume around 1500 GMT (10amEST) from esa control.

Will be very exciting, it seems the probe is still transmitting, much longer I think than they had hoped for, much like the mars probes.

Nasa coverage will continue with PRE-DATA TRANSMISSION COMMENTARY at 9:30 am EST (1430 GMT).

Lot of fun!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I hate it when my schedule doesn't fit these things....oh well, I'll be able to see it all later as usual and not have to wait for everything....:D

This should be great!

D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
I hate it when my schedule doesn't fit these things....oh well, I'll be able to see it all later as usual and not have to wait for everything....:D

This should be great!

D
Well it seems that the first bits of data, 45 min or so in our time will be empty data packets and first probe data packets should arrive around 11am EST.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stubeeef said:
CNN will have probe coverage starting at 11:00 am.
I've got the NASA TV RealPlayer stream going here at work (I'm sure they love that). Can't wait to see some of the data coming in.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
emw said:
I've got the NASA TV RealPlayer stream going here at work (I'm sure they love that). Can't wait to see some of the data coming in.
Ditto :) !

I have CNN on my kitchen undercabnet LCD tv at the same time, don't want to miss any good pix.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just got back from my daughter's ballet recital (well, she's four, so it was more like my daughter's "bunch of 4-year-olds paying attention to their parents"). Anyway, got NTV up, but don't hear much of anything. Murmurs.

Is that what y'all are hearing (or not) as well, or is my newly downloaded Real Player 10 not set up correctly?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
jsw said:
Just got back from my daughter's ballet recital (well, she's four, so it was more like my daughter's "bunch of 4-year-olds paying attention to their parents"). Anyway, got NTV up, but don't hear much of anything. Murmurs.

Is that what y'all are hearing (or not) as well, or is my newly downloaded Real Player 10 not set up correctly?
I have good video and lots of murmurs, I'm wondering if sumsing is wery wery vong!

I hope NOT!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
stubeeef said:
I have good video and lots of murmurs, I'm wondering if sumsing is wery wery vong!

I hope NOT!
Watching for a while now... seems like audio is fine, just no one's talking to the camera.

CNN report on now...

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
4 hours of txmit instead of 3 min! Of course cassini only got part of that, it had to stop recv to turn and txmt

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, last I saw, at least "an hour and a half". Still amazing! I mean, really, anything at all is simply stunning. I can't wait to see what was received. And who knows how much else we'd've gotten were it not for Cassini going out of receiving position....

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What amazes me is that most people - of those who even may attention - will take this all for granted.

The fact that we got a spacecraft to freaking Saturn, which in turn launched a probe, which in turn landed on a moon and sent back data, which in turn was relayed and sent back to us and received (amazing in and of itself) is lost on most.

This is a truly stunning accomplishment.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
jsw said:
What amazes me is that most people - of those who even may attention - will take this all for granted.

The fact that we got a spacecraft to freaking Saturn, which in turn launched a probe, which in turn landed on a moon and sent back data, which in turn was relayed and sent back to us and received (amazing in and of itself) is lost on most.

This is a truly stunning accomplishment.
After flying through space (not hospitable) for about 7 years.