Problem: duplicate texts with every send - one from iMessage & one from Text.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PecanEater, Dec 9, 2011.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Trying to solve a friends problem. Every time he sends a text message with his iphone (iOS5) two messages get sent - one as an iMessage & one as a Text. Any ideas what's going on? Solutions? Thanks.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm not having the issue with sending both iMessage and text but I do receive them twice.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Tell your friend to turn off Send as SMS in Settings>Messages. Your friend is probably in a low coverage area.

4. PecanEater thread starter macrumors 6502

PecanEater

so, the if there's poor service you can get a message that goes through one then the other?

5. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Not supposed to happen that way but I have seen it. If iMessage fails to receive a "delivered" flag after x number of minutes (I think 5) it can send it instead via SMS. But if the message was delivered via iMessage the recipient might end up with both.

I have had this happen when I was in a very low signal area and sometimes had no data connection at all (but had voice). iMessage needs internet to work but SMS does not.

Michael

6. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Strange this also happened to me today as I was the receiver of a text message. I got the first text message as an iMessage. A few minutes later I got the same first message as a Text Message. I told the person messaging me dude I just answered your question why are you asking me the same thing again. :confused: I guess I also got a delayed first message.