Problem: iPhone 4 VS iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, I live in The Netherlands and next month (July) both the iPad and iPhone will launch over here.

Fact is that I love both the iPad and the iPhone 4. I've already got an iPhone 3GS but I'm in love with it's new design, new camera with LED, new display with a contract ratio of 800:1, resolution at 326 ppi and 500 cd/m2 max brightness. And than I haven't even mentioned it's awesome battery life, the A4 chip, HD 720p recording and the gyroscope.

On the otherhand: I like the iPad. It's an awesome device, but the problem is: it's going to be or the iPhone 4, or the iPad. I've already got an iPhone (3GS), so well... than an iPad is a logical choice.

So. What would you do? Would you just get the iPhone 4 and sell the 3GS (simlock free)? How much would you ask for the 3GS?

Thanks,

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

IMO I say get the iPad. I love my iPad and iPhone. I definitely find them both quite useful.

3. yegon macrumors 68020

iPad. The difference between a 3GS and an iPhone IV is nowhere near to having/not having an iPad*

*Assuming you have a use for it. I do, my lappy hasn't been unplugged since getting it. Some people, however, may rarely use it after the first couple of weeks.

As my crusty 3G is sluggish and the battery is knacked, I cant resist the IV too though :)

4. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

How do you use your iPad differently from your iPhone? Like are you using it as your 'main system' to browse the web or watch videos? And do you also use it to make, for example, documents?

Well, most things I currently do on my laptop is browsing the web, watch sometimes a video or something (but I now usually do that via my PS3) and create documents. The iPhone 4 is really hard to resist, but than again... who knows what I'm missing if I'm not going for the iPad. I've already got an iPhone... :p

5. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

You didn't say if your 3GS was 16 or 32, but you can likely get between 3 and 4 hundred for your unlocked phone... That will pay for your iPhone 4, then you can still get your iPad.... I love mine... You'll find you pick it up for everything... All the time....

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Depends on how much time you spend at home, and which device gets the most use.

The iPad is (to me) more of an around-the-house device. Bigger web surfing and video screen, nicer news apps, etc. But if you spend more time using a phone all day, then you might want the...

Hmm. Never mind, get the iPad anyway! :)

You've already got a fast iPhone with the 3GS. The iPhone 4 is still the same old iPhone experience, just with a much nicer screen and video calling.

The iPad, at least with real iPad apps, is a different user experience. Get it now, and then update to the iPhone 5 next year.

7. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

32 GB. And my iPhone is insured so I can let it go through the insurrance company so it will be as good as new. I was thinking exactly the same. If I go for the iPhone I will have to pay 390 euros with a 1-year contract (about $480).

Than I might be able to sell the 3Gs for 350 euros (about $430) and than in august I will have enough money for the iPad 16 GB model.

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm not trying to sway you away from getting the iPad, but this question is the sole reason that I have not purchased an iPad. The only time I would use it is when I'm around the house and want to look up something quickly and not have to go to my computer. My iPhone can do that. It's basically the same OS, so IMO it's basically an iPod Touch with a bigger screen. I'm sure over time that will change, but I'm holding off on the iPad until the 2nd or 3rd gen. However, my roommate has one and he loves it and thinks I'm crazy for thinking the way I do.

9. yegon macrumors 68020

At home, my iPad gets hammered browsing, reading books, manga and the odd game. At work, browsing, video and books. All possible with my mbp of course, but for these leisure pursuits the iPad is just so much more pleasant, plus the battery life is truly, truly brilliant, to the point where you never really have to pay attention to it. I charge mine overnight maybe 2 out of 3 nights and I've never seen it below 20%.

Wouldn't want to do anything approaching serious work on it though, although some don't seem to mind it. For light typing, like this, the keyboard is more than adequate.

Like someone said, fund the iPhone via flogging your old one. I'm selling mine to a mate for £150. As im going contract, the hit wont be too bad.

10. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

In the end, if I go for the iPad and will get the iPhone 5 next year it will be cheaper.

Well, I can sure see some ways how I can use it (like browsing the web, creating some documents etc.) but than I think of the iPhone 4. A better camera with LED, front facing camera, awesome design and a new screen. The iPad will for sure get (at least some) of these features next year.

Both the iPhone 4 and iPad have their advantages, but I'm still leaning a bit towards the iPhone 4 since I've always got that device with me. But than again, something in my head is also saying that it's still going to take until next year before a new iPad is released and it will be awesome to work with.

With the iPhone 4 I think something like: but if I take the iPhone 4, I might be able to sell my 3GS 32 GB for a nice price and the iPad won't be far away any more.

The one thing I'm really curious about is: is it nice to create documents with (with the keyboard, of course) and is it - in some way - a replacement for a laptop (in the way like: web browsing, watching videos and listing some music and creating documents via the iWork apps)?

Nice to hear. That's exactly the things I'm planning to do with the iPad. The problem is, when I can sell my iPhone 4 for a nice price than it will still only be able to buy it in september or august.

But well, in the end it's going to be cheaper to get the iPhone 5 next year and the iPad now. Still a bit hesitating between the two: iPhone 4, or both iPhone 3GS and iPad.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Here is what I did do: I bought one of each. (Sold my 3GS to pay for the 4).

12. virx macrumors member

For me it would be certainly an iPad. It gets a lot of use - surfing, reading news, checking/sending mail, reading books, watching ABC/netflix videos, games. I even considered dropping iPhone because of expensive data plans from AT&T, but it is no longer an issue since AT&T made a $15/month plan available.

13. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, that's what I want to do. iPhone 4, sell 3GS 32 GB for like 400 euros and in August or September an iPad. This is really an unfortunate timing of Apple, since they launch 2 brand new products (well iPad is already 'old' in the USA, but not over here [a]) in the exact same month.

And than there's one more problem. I can not be sure if I can sell it for 400 euros. If I can not do that, than I can not get an iPad in August or September (a).

14. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Yea, but both devices are so awesome. And oh, if I buy an iPad it's going to be the 32 GB model and probably 3G (I will just use Duo Sim so I can use data both on my iPhone and iPad).

15. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

IMO get the iPhone 4. I have had the iPad for a few months now, and yes there are some cool apps, and yes it is nice to have that bigger screen. I just think that unless you have a very specific reason for wanting one over the iPhone, you're going to be disappointed with it after a while. It doesn't do very much that you can't already do on your iPhone, and it's not as useful considering it won't fit in your pocket.

I bought it specifically to read the mountain of PDFs involved in my university classes, and it works great for that, but now the semester's over and I don't find it that useful.

The third option, which you haven't considered, is keeping your 3GS and pocketing the extra money! It's a great phone with most of the features of the iPhone 4, plus you can put iOS 4 on it. Just a thought. :)

16. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, it's going to be the iPad. Maybe next year iPhone 5... :)

17. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

Why not iPhone 4 this year and iPad 2 with Retina Display, Camera and some other snazzy improvement next year (just my guess that there will be an update and that those may be some of the improvements)

18. ttech10 macrumors 6502

That's why I haven't thought of getting on either. It just seems pointless. Not saying it is, that's just my view. I have my iPhone I always carry around with me and as far as I know it's pretty much just a smaller iPad. When I need something bigger I have my MacBook.

If I didn't have a laptop though, I may go with the iPad just because it has a bigger screen so easier for browsing the web.

19. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Get the iPad. The 10" screen makes a world of difference. Although I have both and the 4 pre-ordered I would pick up the iPad in a heartbeat over the iPhone for most uses as it is a joy to use.

20. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Very much true, but iPad 2 is still 10 months away (if there's again an April release) and iPhone 4... well. It's cheaper for me to get iPad now, and iPhone 5 next year. And against that time I can again sell this iPad, and get iPad 2.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still in love with the new iPhone.

21. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh, and still not sure if I should go for the 3G model or not.

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

For me I have the iPhone 3GS and a iPad. Both which I use a lot and in different scenarios. I also have the iPhone 4 preordered.

If in your boat and had to choose either or I'd get the iPhone for this reason. Next year the price of your 3GS will worth less. Sell now, get more.

23. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, that won't be a real problem because if I buy the iPhone 5 next year I'll save already 200 euros (currently about $250) alone without even selling my 3GS. That's a lot. And with some luck I can also sell my 3Gs next year for 200 euros [simlockfree] (about $300). Win-win.