Problem when connecting the MBP 2010 to an external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jun 2, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello. I have been using my MBP (2010, i7 17" model) with a 24" HP external HDMI LCD monitor. The connection is via the Apple's Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. It was working perfectly the first day I tried. However, when I connected the external monitor to the MBP yesterday, I found that the LCD screen of the external monitor was blinking. It lasted for about 5 minutes and then the problem was gone by itself. I have just reconnected my MBP to the monitor again. The problem reappears. Anybody knows what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

check the cables? try another monitor to see if the issue is on your side or the monitor side.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. There is no problem with the monitor as I have been using it with a desktop PC for over a year. This week, I use the monitor with the MBP more often. For your information, the native resolution of the monitor is also 1900x1200. Do you think there is something wrong with the adapter or the MBP?

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Every once in a while (once a month) I get the same thing when waking... usually it goes away if I turn off/on the display.

Try it, perhaps it works. I don´t know the reason why it does that, but after almost a year of that, I don't worry too much about it.

5. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

perhaps the dedicated card activates to enable the external output? doesn't sound like a serious issue if it's only on startup/connection and works fine otherwise