Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Hello everyone
when i power up my 2014 mini (attached to a home theater receiver via cdmi and to a samsung u24e590 monitor via display port) I cannot see anything
both screens remain black
I have to forcefully shut the mac many times
I have tried disconnecting all cables, changing them and resetting PRAM
I have also removed everything from login elements (as suggested by apple support), but nothing seems to work
Can anyone help me with some ideas/solutions?
Many thanks to everyone

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
is this a samsung tv? I get that sometimes, need to press on "P.size" (Picture size) and toggle between the few settings to get it working on my tv.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
when i power up my 2014 mini (attached to a home theater receiver via cdmi and to a samsung u24e590 monitor via display port) I cannot see anything
both screens remain black

Let me ask first, does this happen if you connect just the monitor to the Mini? (Or just the TV?) It could be an issue involving only one of the two displays, or some combination of the two...

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
is this a samsung tv? I get that sometimes, need to press on "P.size" (Picture size) and toggle between the few settings to get it working on my tv.
Yes a j6300 connect to onkyo htx 22 hdx

Let me ask first, does this happen if you connect just the monitor to the Mini? (Or just the TV?) It could be an issue involving only one of the two displays, or some combination of the two...

I have tried all the combinations
Only one cable and also two different hdmi
When the mac works it can drive both displays without problem(they usually are not connected togheter)

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I have tried all the combinations
Only one cable and also two different hdmi
When the mac works it can drive both displays without problem(they usually are not connected togheter)

Ok, but let me ask this: does the problem occur when
a) both displays are connected to the Mini
b) only the home theater/TV is connected to the Mini
c) only the monitor is connected to the Mini

Sometimes there are issues with particular types of monitor, or with particular types of TV (and home theater boxes can complicate the issue). If the problem occurs in all situations, it might indicate an issue with the Mini itself...

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Ok, but let me ask this: does the problem occur when
a) both displays are connected to the Mini
b) only the home theater/TV is connected to the Mini
c) only the monitor is connected to the Mini

Sometimes there are issues with particular types of monitor, or with particular types of TV (and home theater boxes can complicate the issue). If the problem occurs in all situations, it might indicate an issue with the Mini itself...

In every situation with an erratical behavior
The problem come some times ago with the installation of plex server? Maybe some problem with that program?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
In every situation with an erratical behavior
The problem come some times ago with the installation of plex server? Maybe some problem with that program?

Perhaps, but I find it unlikely that the software would affect the Mac on bootup...

But yeah, I think the next thing to try would be booting in "safe mode", as described by Apple here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Basically, you get to safe mode by turning the Mini on, waiting for the startup sound, and then hitting the "Shift" key. The Mini should then go through a handful of system checks before starting up, and that may provide some useful info.

I guess I should ask though, do you hear the startup sound when you turn the Mini on? If the device doesn't even get that far, it could be a serious issue.

Also! One more possibility: if you are using very long (or very low-quality) video cables (or if both cables are damaged in some way, although that seems less likely), it may be that the signal going between the Mini and the displays is simply weak. You might try testing with a different (shorter) cable to see if the problem goes away...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.