Problem with changing short name

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hairmy, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hairmy macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 15inch Macbook Pro and earlier I went to go change the folder names. I found a tutorial on iclarified and followed all the instructions. Long story short, something went wrong and now when I log into my old account everything is set to when I first got it. I still have all my stuff that I downloaded but my papers for school and other stuff are missing. I tried to use Time Machine but it wasn't working. Can anyone possible help me where I can reset my setting to before I tried to do this whole name change thing. Thanks everyone!

Here is the link too if anyone is curious of the steps I did
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4598

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

save the papers you need and whatnot and then fresh install OS X.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think the point was that the papers are gone.

Not sure if they can be found if they aren't in any of the user folders. You could try spotlight in each user account and see if you can locate the stuff. The easiest way would probably be to copy all the stuff you need and can find to an external (not with Time Machine, that will just keep your current settings), then format and reinstall as the above post says.

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

he said he still have all of his papers but other stuff is missing, so i guess were both wrong.

i say take what he has and do fresh install!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Read a little more carefully.

6. iMackPro macrumors 6502

good call i saw he still had stuff. i didn't see his BUT. :D im not into looking at mens buts though :D

7. Hairmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi you guys! Thank you all for your responses. I actually went into spotlight and found all of my documents. So I have all of my stuff, but it looks like its under a different name that I created when I was trying to change the short name last night. I am transferring all the information to the new one. Do you think that should be fine? Or would you guys recommend that I get all of my stuff off and reinstall osx? Thanks again!