Problem with iCloud backups and iTunes match

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wherewuz, May 28, 2013.

1. wherewuz macrumors member

wherewuz

Hey guys, I'm grasping at straws with this issue and no one seems to be able to help.

So I have a lot of spoken-word MP3 files on my MacBook that are both too large and too low a bitrate for iTunes Match. Since I use iCloud to backup my phone, I don't manually sync my phone with my MacBook anymore.

How do I get these MP3s onto my iPhone's iPod app without deleting everything on the phone and manually syncing/backing up to my MacBook?

2. wherewuz thread starter macrumors member

wherewuz

Bumping this for the evening crowd.

Any advice, folks? Or at least a better sub-form to ask?

Thanks!

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

As far as I know there isn't a good answer for this that doesn't involve a jailbreak. I simply don't understand why one cannot easily just do an iCloud and a computer based back up side by side. It's quite silly.

4. wherewuz thread starter macrumors member

wherewuz

THANK YOU for your reply!

OK, now I'm trying to think outside the box. What about ANY app that would let me manually sync files to it?

For example, I came close to a solution with the Dropbox app, but it obviously won't let me save the .mp3 files to my iPhone. Is there any media player app that allows users to manually sync basically any media files?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

As far as in aware no.

Have you tried google music?

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

You can backup both ways side by side. If icloud is enabled on the phone, you can still backup locally in iTunes. Same thing vice versa.

7. wherewuz thread starter macrumors member

wherewuz

But if I try to manually sync my music, I'll no longer have iTunes Match available on the iPhone, correct?

8. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

True. I misunderstood that part. Have you tried turning off match, sync those mp3s, then turn on match again?

9. wherewuz thread starter macrumors member

wherewuz

Haven't tried that yet. But honestly, even if that worked, I was hoping for a more long-term solution to the problem.

10. ipaclansite macrumors member

This will probably be alot of work, but it may be a viable option. You can put all your audio files into Audacity, and have it re-encode all the mp3 files into a higher bitrate. You can also split the mp3's into multiple ones to get around the "too large" limit.

Again it may be alot of work, but if your computer happens to be blazingly fast in encoding audio, this might work...

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Right click the mp3's in iTunes and select 'create AAC version'

This will create a higher bitrate version that will sync to iCloud.

If this doesn't work, try and change their media kind from Music to Podcast.

This can usually be done in iTunes, but not always.

If not, open the mp3 in Garageband and export it to iTunes as a Podcast.

Then, sync them as Podcasts... not as music.

This will get around iTunes Match.

12. wherewuz thread starter macrumors member

wherewuz

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

For the earlier posters, changing the file to an AAC with a higher bitrate won't solve the problem... It gets me around the bitrate issue, but then the files are invariably over the 200 MB limit, which also causes iTunes Match to reject them.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Are they under "music" or under "audiobooks"? If they are under "music", Get Info -> Options -> Media Kind -> Audiobook. Audiobooks are _never_ put into iTunes Match but are always synced from your Mac; iTunes Match only affects music files.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

As far as I am aware I have to manually disable iCloud (through iTunes), run the backup, and ten renewable iCloud backup.

If there is a way to get around this, please explain.

15. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

No, not necessary. Even with iCloud backup enabled, you can right click device and choose backup or hit the backup button on the device page.