Problem with iPhone 3G and iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carefreecork, Mar 22, 2012.

1. carefreecork macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Hi all,

A friend of mine lost all apps, pictures and contacts when he downloaded an app - it wiped everything! He tried on iTunes to restore from last backup but it jumped onto iCloud to do this. It has now been three hours anon only 20 of the original apps have returned and some of his photos. The music has returned but cannot be played.

I just wanted to ask for him whether 1) he should/can cancel the iCloud backup restore and 2) whether this is normal that it will take (he estimates) over 12 hours for things to return.

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. HazyCloud, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

How did your friend get iCloud on his 3G? iOS 5 only supports 3GS' and above.

From Apple:

"iCloud requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS or later.."

If it's a 3GS, downloading an app should never format the device.

EDIT* Have your friend plug into iTunes and restore from their backups if they are on iTunes. If your friend is backing up to iCloud, you have to restore the device first before you can restore from iCloud. You can restore from within iTunes or by going to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.

3. carefreecork thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Sorry my mistake - his is a 3GS

4. carefreecork thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Ty for your help HazyCloud - I shall let him know - it all seems a bit odd that it is just downloading an app that caused it - must be more to it than he is telling me.