Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Pacific Northwest
(Please let me know if I’ve posted this in the wrong forum and I’ll move it.)

MacBook Pro 13” running latest OS

I start up, log in as me, takes a long time on progress bar, then guest user log in page comes up (I don’t have a guest user password)

Booted up on external drive, ran disk utility, no errors (not sure what else to do while on external.)

Now sitting here on guest user log in page.

I do have Time Machine but would like that to be a last resort because I would lose some things.

I’d appreciate any help and I can resume troubleshooting tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I would post either in the 10.13 forum or the MacBook Pro forum. This is the MacBook forum.

But while you are here....are you sure it is the Guest login? Sounds like you might have Filevault enabled but the FV unlock has become different from the user password so that you have to enter a password twice. Normally FV is unlocked by the user password so only one login. This can happen when cloning a Filevaulted volume.

If you think this might have happened, most straightforward option is turn off Filevault, let it finish decrypting, then turn it on again. Takes a long time but you can use the machine while it is happening.

Might also be worth looking in Filevault pref pane to see if there are any messages about unauthorised users.

wmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Thank you Mike. Oops I thought I was in the MacBook Pro forum. I also posted on Apple I will see if anyone answered there too. All of this had to happen when I’ve come down with the flu or something so I am slow to work my way through this.

Yes I’m sure it’s the guest log in. I’m sure I don’t have File Vault enabled. I can’t get as far as the preference pane to check for unauthorized users, furthest I can get to is either me screen with both me and guest login or just guest login.

I’ve never seen anything like this before.

Thank you so much for writing back. I will try the other forums and also see if I have any Apple forum responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.