Problem with white iPhone camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tokend, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Tokend macrumors newbie

My wife and I recently got new iPhone 4s-es (Sprint), our first iPhones. They are identical 16 GB models, except that hers is white and mine is black. We noticed that her front-facing camera was often taking photos that were all washed out, with barely any detail visible.

The problem occurs when her flash goes off, either via "On" or "Auto." When her flash (white iPhone) does not go off, the photos are fine. When the flash does go off, the photos are illegible. All photos on my (black) iPhone are fine, with or without flash. Examples of her photos are below.

Example, white iPhone with flash:
    [​IMG]

Example, white iPhone without flash:
    [​IMG]

Both photos were taken indoors on a bright day. Flash pictures taken in less light are even more washed out. The more needed the flash is, the more washed out the picture--backwards from what it should be. It's as though the flash is too intense. ???

Do we have a faulty white iPhone? If so, should I bring it into an Apple store, contact Apple, contact Sprint, or...?

Thanks for any guidance.

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I would take it to Apple and show one of the Genius's, they should replace it.

3. zodiaque macrumors member

4. Hart1583 macrumors regular

Hart1583

My problem was when taking a regular picture with my white iphone 4s with flash on the pics looked just like yours.....until I removed my case!

It seems that ANY case (I have tried 8 different ones) seem to do something and makes the flash hit the lens. I am now caseless on my iphone with perfect pictures.

If you have a case on....take it off and take a picture and see the difference with flash on

5. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Also make sure your finger isn't too close to the lens/flash when you take a pic. The skin of your finger will cause it to reflect the light like that

6. julesw macrumors member

julesw

sticker

have you removed the protective sticker?

I have to admit i thoughht mine was faulty too but I hadn't removed
    the transparent protector which was covering the back of the phone:(

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

^ lol ^

OP I don't have this problem And I have a white 64GB.

8. Tokend thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's official

I'm an idiot.

First, thank you all for your suggestions. Hart, we tried with and without her translucent white silicone rubber case. Pauly, we made sure our fingers sere nowhere near the lens, even holding it on the sides.

Then I read jules' suggestion. Well, of course, I removed the protective sticker. What do you think I am, some kind of idiot? I even got out a magnifying glass, looking for any edges around the phone and the lens/flash. Nothing that I could see.

Then, somewhat to my horror, I saw a small plastic tab at the bottom of the phone. You know, the kind they put on the bottom of protective films. Even though I was all alone, I sheepishly remove the film and took three photos, all with flash on. Voilà! I'm an idiot.

At least I embarrassed myself here, among friends, and not in person at an Apple store.

Thanks again, everybody!

Ken

9. Tokend thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

It was a combination of the protective film AND the translucent white silicone case. The test pix I took after removing the film were all without the case. We put the case back on, and although the washout wasn't as bad, it was still present. Something about the optics with a white iPhone and a white case, I guess, even without the film.

Without the case, all is fine. Looks like we'll be shopping for a new case.

Thanks, everybody.

10. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Has nothing to do with color of phone or case. Had this problem with my black iPhone 4. it's the case. remove case for photo taking, problem solved.

11. orange42 macrumors 6502a

You just said it has nothing to do with the case then said it's the case? Huh? It definitely is the case, my sister and I had problems with some crap silicon cases. Also, people take hundreds of photos with their phones so taking the case off for each time you use the camera would be a pain in the ass.

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

are you serious? honey, read it again. surely you're not that dense.

13. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

What??? That's a lame comment. It's not because it's white. If it was, all white iPhones would do that.

14. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Maybe I am that dense, "honey," or maybe you could type in full sentences? I still don't get what you're trying to say.

15. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

wow. do the grand kids know grandpa's been using the computer again? [​IMG]

16. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I'm 22, so no grand kids yet, tool. I was agreeing/confirming what the op discovered. Maybe next time you can type so it makes sense or maybe even quote someone. You seem to know how to do that, at least, dude.

17. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Wow. You really do have a problem with reading comprehension. Are you really this bad at reading IRL? See signature, "dude". :rolleyes:
    Don't blame your fourth grade reading level and lack of basic internet forum knowledge on me. You failed at reading comprehension, tried to be a smart ass, failed at that, then tried to be a funny smart ass, and failed even more. Overall, one gigantic failure. Congrats, 22 year old. Your mom must be proud.

18. AlohaMaui macrumors member

lol, the first time i tried taking with flash, the pictures came out blurry like yours.

Then I realized it was due to the original protective sticker on the back. hahah!

I still have mine on the front/back.

19. Hpye macrumors 6502

Dude I have a same problem

20. Pettman macrumors newbie

I bet you're fun to DEAL with on a daily basis...

21. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

lol you put the wrong emphASIS on the wrong syllABLE [​IMG]

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

After seeing the problems you were having I took pics with and without case and my pictures come out fine with flash.

23. Pettman macrumors newbie

You are hilarious. I don't even know what to say to that. You stay sweet ok?

24. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

same here, the case on and off and still good results.

25. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have a white iPhone and one day my pictures (with flash) looked like OP's. It turned out the reason was because I was using a white case. I have since tried no case and a clear case (Incase) and my pictures are fine with or without flash.