Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shieldsboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Many people experience considerable trouble trying to attach their Ipod Touches to some wi-fi networks, and yet their Touch will easily attach to a network in the next building, or in MacDonalds, or even in the next room.

At first sight it appears to be random whether your Touch will connect.

I have read all sorts of theories of why this but none of them have worked for me.

So I now offer another theory.

That the problem relates to the contents (or lack of) of the Search Domains box.

To add substance to the theory I attach below details of some testing I did today (these have already been posted in an earlier forum thread):

"I have had a feeling that the problem lay in the DNS area, so this morning did some "field" testing!

I walked down the main street of our suburb monitoring the Touch to see when it gained contact with an non-secured wifi network.

I found 4 and I connected with each with very good access speed.

However, the one difference between my hifi network settings and these networks was the content of the "Search Domains" box under the DHCP section of the IP Address.

Entries in the field would be, for example, "Belkin" or "Netgear" and other such names (not ip numbers).

I am now trying to identify what should be in the Search Domains box, and how to get my router to put it there?

Is it the use of Dynamic DNS? What are the implications if you have a static IP address?

Of course I could be totally wrong, but it seems worth investigating.

Can you try the "field" test I carried out? And post your results?

Do you know what should be in the box and the changes that would have to be made in a router?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Don

Shieldsboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Tonight I have implemented a new modem/router (which I was planning to do anyway), a Netgear DG834G Ver 5.

And my Touch is now connecting beautifully to my new wi-fi network, and, guess what, the "Search Domain" field in the Touch has an entry in it!

The entry is "Exetel" which is the name of my ISP.

I don't know why it is there so cannot advise how to fix your problems but I would certainly think it is worth your while to talk to your ISP about this setting.

Good luck.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.