Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unclepain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
I am a domain administrator for a fairly large NT and Win2000 Active Directory network. We have a Windows NT4 server on the LAN that has Services for Macintosh running and we are sharing out a folder on the NT box as a Mac volume so that the Mac users can access the directory via standard Appletalk protocols. We are also doing a standard Windows share of the same directory so that Windows users can access the same directory. We recently started to add OSX machines to our network. When my Mac users attempt to connect to the shared Mac Appletalk volume using OSX, they get a login error stating "Unknown user, incorrect password, or login is disabled. Please retype the name and password or contact the server's administrator." They don't have a problem accessing the Mac share when logged into OS9.

However, if the Mac user attempts to connect to the file share by using the windows SMB file sharing protocols, they can connect fine. The only problem is that the fonts that they are trying to access on the server show up as 0 K and are unreadable when connecting via SMB. They only show up correctly when attached via Appletalk.

Here's the kicker- I had no problems attaching to the server from my OSX box to the Mac volume. The only difference is that I'm a member of the NT Server's local administrator's account. So, I went ahead and added the user to the local administrator's group and now they can connect with no issues to the Mac volume in OSX. I checked the share permissions as they were configured on the server and it was setup for everyone to have modify rights to the directory. Obviously, we don't want to be granting local administrator rights to one of our domain controllers just so Mac users can access Mac volumes.

Has anyone seen this error? Any advice?

dagen

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
Ireland
Panther networking with NT4

I recently upgarded to Panther. As clients are using Quark6.0 we decided to move to OSX on a number of machines. Our main server runs on NT 4. When using 10.2 I was able to connect to the network and copy the files across to my hard disk. However now with Panther I can see the folders but cannot access the files. When I try to view the files they appear for a second and then disappear.

Can someone tell me what the situation is? Is there anything I can do to even just copy files across? Is Panther simply incompatible with NT4.

Cheers
Royser

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.