Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinibean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I am following online instructions, but can't seem to get an export to work. All I'm trying to do is take an iPhoto video and move it to the desktop, with the goal of moving it again into iMovie.

It seems this should be accomplished by selecting the video, using the Export Function, selecting "original" and then exporting to the Desktop.

When I do this, the icon appears, I click on it and it opens. If the video is 15 seconds, it shows as "00:00" seconds and when I press play it plays for less than 1 second. That's it. It doesn't seem to be exporting the complete video.

For example, I have a 33 second video. Once it exports to the desktop, it is 718KB.

I can't figure out what is wrong. Any help is appreciated!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You should be able to open iMovie and import the video from your iPhoto library.... if thats what you wanted anyway.

rinibean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
You should be able to open iMovie and import the video from your iPhoto library.... if thats what you wanted anyway.

How exactly do I do this? Going through iMovie, if I select the iPhoto library, it allows me to view and play the video, but to save it I have to turn it into a clip, create an event, and move it.

I really just want to move a bunch of videos out of iPhoto into iMovie so I can delete them from iPhoto. I want to be able to do it quickly and in a batch, and not by having to deal with each individual movie at this time.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Not sure why you can't export the original in the original format.

I'm not sure what you mean by turning it into a clip, but there may need to be an iMovie event. I used to do this often, create an iMovie event and drag drop the iPhoto file(s) into the event. There are other ways to do this but I think they all involve individual files, but then I'm more familiar with FCPX.

For example you could use iPhoto to locate the original. Then from the finder, open the iPhoto library package, find the file and move or copy/paste the original onto your desktop. There are dozens of other ways.

Sorry not much help, I'm sure someone with more direct experience will jump in soon.

Last edited:

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Reading your post, you are not exporting a iPhoto. You are exporting a video in iPhoto?.
I suggest you move that video file into an external hard drive so it is separate from iPhoto. If you move the video from iPhoto unto your desktop check your preference of that video. Also ask finder to find the video file and see were the file is sitting on your hard drive.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
It seems this should be accomplished by selecting the video, using the Export Function, selecting "original" and then exporting to the Desktop.
That works for me(iPhotov8) ok. As it doesn't with you simply drag and drop your movie from iPhoto to your Desktop.

MichaelG76

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
Brighton
I am following online instructions, but can't seem to get an export to work. All I'm trying to do is take an iPhoto video and move it to the desktop, with the goal of moving it again into iMovie.

When I do this, the icon appears, I click on it and it opens. If the video is 15 seconds, it shows as "00:00" seconds and when I press play it plays for less than 1 second. That's it. It doesn't seem to be exporting the complete video.

For example, I have a 33 second video. Once it exports to the desktop, it is 718KB.

I can't figure out what is wrong. Any help is appreciated!
[doublepost=1490357981][/doublepost]I had the same problem of a zero second video. What worked for me was NOT to use Export, but to click on the file, Copy, and Paste to desktop.

poi ran

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Scandinavia
Ok, this is a necro bump, but I had similar issues when exporting to a backup hard drive; the thumbnail of the exported video seemed ok, but the duration of the video itself was 0:00. I nearly missed that the export was flawed as I exported 15000 photos at the same time.

Solution? I opened the iphoto library in Aperture and exported the videos. Copy and paste is also a possible solution, as mentioned previously in the thread.

Most videos were .avi from various cameras, some .mov as well. More modern .mp4 seemed to export ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.