Problems hooking up Pro Speakers to OS 9 iMac

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
For my BDay I got a 4.1 system from Cambridge Soundworks, so I don’t need the Pro Speakers for the Cube right now. I want to hook them up to the iMac. But whenever I do, the keyboard and mouse are disabled. To solve this problem I have to press the power button to turn off the computer and unplug the Pro Speakers before I can make the computer work correctly.

How can I get around this?

iMac 233 Rev. A/B
160MB RAM
4GB Hard Drive
Mac OS 9.2.2

Cube Pro Speakers (non-white)
Hooked up via first or second USB input to the computer with the same problem

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I wasn't aware that the Pro Speakers from the cube were compatable with that model of Imac. I thought you had to have A cube, or certain powermac g4's with some internal amp to run them.....If they run on those imacs sweeeet, someone let us know, we got a pair just laying around up here.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
You're probably not gonna like this queenie, but check out this knowledge base article...

As shown in the article
The Apple Pro Speakers cannot be used with any computer that does not have an Apple Speaker sound output port. As of 2001-08, the only computers with this port are the Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) and Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver). Refer to article 58764 "Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) and (QuickSilver): Sound Output Ports" for more information about the sound capabilities of the Power Mac G4 computer.