Problems moving my old Airport Extreme to my new Apple Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vgoklani, Sep 17, 2011.

1. vgoklani macrumors regular

vgoklani

I just bought a new 2TB Apple Time Capsule (TC), and swapped out my old Airport Extreme (AE). Unfortunately the new TC is not outputting the public IP address. It has a steady green light, but none of my computers are able to resolve the Public IP, so I can't open a webpage. They are receiving a local IP (say 10.0.1.3, etc), and I can connect to the router via wifi. I tried importing the configuration file from my old AE, but it did not help. I then swapped out the TC and put back the AE, and everything worked fine.

When I look under the TCP/IP setting in Airport Utility for the TC, the Router address is strange, and doesn't correspond to the IP address. Presumably both the router and IP address should start with the same set of digits. For my AE, the. router address = 73.81.165.1 and the IP address is 73.81.165.201. The router address is completely different for the TC. I tried manually changing this by altering the DHCP, but no success.

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does this even mean? Why would a router "output" a public IP address? A router generally takes the public IP address it gets from the modem on the public side and hands out private IP addresses on the private side (your local network). Try rebooting the modem, or renewing the router's DHCP lease.

3. vgoklani thread starter macrumors regular

vgoklani

Using programs like iStat, I can see both the public and private addresses that are distributed from the router. The router is assigning a private IP address (10.0.1.3), but the public IP address is missing (it shows as N/A under iStat). When swap the TC with the AE, I get the correct public IP in iStat.

I have power-cycled the Verizon cable modem several times, no luck.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Public IP addresses are not distributed from personal routers. Your router is not getting an IP address from your ISP.

Have you tried renewing the DHCP lease from your ISP?

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

With your new Time Capsule plugged in to it, power cycle your cable (or DSL) modem. In other words, yank the power to the cable modem and plug it back in. That may reset your cable modem in to providing your TC with a valid IP address, presuming all the other settings on your TC are correct. Then check your Macs and see if they can connect to the internet.

For me and my FiOS, I had to actually call Verizon tech support to have them manually drop and reset the IP when I replaced my router they lock in to a single MAC address and since I don't use the Verizon-supplied ActionTech router (or whatever brand they hand out, I don't even remember) I've got no way to force a DHCP refresh from their end. Not that big of a deal since I don't really plan to need to do this more than once every couple of years.

Edit: just saw that you already tried to power-cycle. You then may have to call your ISP's tech support and have them refresh your IP for you.