Problems with activation of factory unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by michael75, Oct 27, 2010.

1. michael75 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I know that this issue was discussed not that long ago but there was no definitive answer regarding what can be done to solve the problem.
    I have what was promised to be "Factory unlocked iPhone 4", which was purchased from a seller in Australia (online), but the Phone itself is probably of Canadian origin (MC605X/A). Seller promised that the phone would work with any SIM...
    When I tried to activate it with my Israeli Cellcom SIM, that was cut to fut from regular SIM, I've got the message that my sim is not supported... Thinking that cutting the SIM I managed to cause some damage, I've got another SIM (U-micro-SIM) from my cellular provider, but I'm getting the same message again and again.
    I'm using iTunes version 10.0.1.22...

Any ideas what may be the problem?

ThankS!
    Michael.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Not unlocked

The phone you have is not unlocked and can at this time only be used with the original carrier, probably AT&T.

Which IOS you have and baseband (phone modem) you have?
    This info you can find in settings, general, info.

At this time only baseband 1.59.0 and lower can be unlocked.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

To check if it's really factory unlocked:

Does it show the same screens as in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Yc4qI11qk

When you plug it in iTunes and you are going to activate it should give you this screen (if it doesn't that means is not factory unlocked):

Attached Files:

4. michael75 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it does not... It shows "The SIM card inserted in this phone does not appear to be supported".... I guess the eBay seller was not fully honest with me and some other buyers. The point is, that the part number MC605X\A is said to be unlocked, and more than in one forum... Also, all other buyers who got phones from the same seller have left him positive feedbacks, meaning everything went well with their activation...
    So... I don't know what to do really...

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe the problem is that your cellphone company does not work on the same frequencies as the iPhone, so the device won't recognize it. To make sure just ask a friend that is in another company to lend you their 3G Sim card to test if the iPhone is really unlocked...

6. michael75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under impression that the iPhone is quad-band device, covering all the frequencies of GSM spectrum...In any case, my company, which provided me with the micro-SIM, is selling iPhones as well. I would buy from them if they were a little bit more reasonable with the price, but they are not....
    In any case, unlocked phone must mean that any SIM card in the world should work, so I really have no idea what may be the problem...

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Do this: connect the iPhone, press RESTORE and set is AS NEW! and it should give you the screen if it's really unlocked...

If not:
    yes, that's true, I checked on your carrier in wiki and it should work... Have you tried w/ a friends iPhone SIM card from Cellcom?
    Yours should be a 32GB iPhone 4 from Australia or New Zealand if it really is MC605X/A... My guess is that maybe if it's not unlocked that the previous owner had bought it cheaper under contract and is locked by the carrier and maybe he/she forgot to ask for the carrier to unlock it officially. Ask the seller and let it know what has been happening...
    You can also call Apple and they should tell if if the phone is locked or not...