Problems with iMessage...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bdzer, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bdzer macrumors member

I'm having a problem, maybe I just don't know how to use my phone well..

I try to create a new iMessage to someone or make it as a group, I enter my Text Message app and click the new message button at the top right, my iMessage contacts don't appear on there when I search for them and it is making a new text message. Does anyone know how to change this or make a new iMessage to a person/group?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

/facepalm.

Your contacts use their apple ID and or phone numbers as their iMessage address. There aren't "iMessage contacts", your phone automatically determines this while attempting to send a text.

This is all explained in the user manuals.

3. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

I already have iMessage chats open with some of my friends but when I try to open a new one it's a Text Message. Am I misinterpreting something? Did I put their e-mail in a bad category or something?

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

That would mean (I'm just assuming here) that they are unavailable for iMessage.

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I just load all my iMessage contacts as the iPhone listing, and it seems to always go to iMessage that way unless I turn it off.

6. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

They are available :(

I wanted to make a group iMessage, which I did, but I had to delete the whole conversation with one of my friends then go into my contacts and click their contact to finally press Send Message and it opened up a 'New iMessage' instead of 'New Message' (Text). The only way I can iMessage someone is to go into contacts and I can't make a new iMessage directly from the Text app.

7. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

I haven't found the solution, my iMessage works fine, I just can't make a new iMessage as it is always a text message.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Are you sure that all people that you're trying to send to have iOS5 and have iMessage turned on?

9. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i do know that certain people you iMessage with and your phone still has that info in memory, it will have a nice symbol to show you if they have iMessage enabled when starting a new text.

[​IMG]

10. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, they do.

If it helps, I iMessage them using their Apple ID E-Mails and not their phone numbers because they are in Australia and Canada.

----------

Your screenshot shows the @ sign, and the ability to type in .'s but when I go to make a new message mine does not. My iMessage works though as I have a few conversations open with other people.

11. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have the same problem as me? I can't type .'s or @'s when trying to create a new message.

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

On iMessage, where they are located doesn't matter. It's still only data use, if it sends via iMessage.

13. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

I know it does not matter.

14. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Mine shows the @ and . when i'm typing in the "To:" part of the message. Once i switch to the body of the message and what is actually going to be sent, then it switches to just a space bar and those two buttons go back to where it normally was after you press the "123+" button

EDIT: also in my original message i was talking about the little blue bubble next to the first contact

15. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

I have the blue bubbles only when I go into Phone -> Contacts -> Send Message, that's the only time I can make a new iMessage, I cannot make one directly in the Texting app.

16. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

well that's just weird. I'd try backing up your phone and doing a restore just to see if it helps

17. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

I might try when I have the time to restore. :(