Problems with Mac Mail

rachpid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Just recently, whenever my manager sends me an email from her Outlook mail on her PC, it gets formatted as plain text with any attachments converted to winmail.dat. This has only happened in the past couple of months and is very annoying as she sends me a lot of forwarded mail with attachments per day! If I go into webmail and look at the same mail it shows fine. Is it something her end or mine and how can we fix this?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Maybe this^^^.

Been a long while since I had to deal with Outlook, but if memory serves, sender should be sending emails in HTML format, to be safe (most portable format for other mail clients). Anything else, it falls back to Outlook/Microsoft-y friendly formats that might handle, or not.

If Office installed and version has Outlook, try that? iOS, there is an Outlook app for that that is free.

mikzn

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
whenever my manager sends me an email from her Outlook mail on her PC, it gets formatted as plain text with any attachments converted to winmail.dat.
If you are looking for a way to open the winmail.dat files here is a handy little app - TNEF's Enough for Mac OS

I have used it for years - just drag the dat file to the app and it opens the attachment

Last edited:

rachpid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, I had been using TNEF's enough but it was getting annoying having to save each attachment separately, rather than seeing them in line in the emails. My manager receives the main bulk of emails and then forwards onto me so I get at least ten attachments a day, and I'm a designer so it's all visual, sometimes all the attachments are is tweak this or that, plus with plain text emails I wasn't seeing correct formatting. Have started a trial of Letter Opener for Mac Mail and so far all looks good, it's only $20 a year so can easily persuade my company to buy that for me.