problems with my Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB - EL CAPITAN

al_bruch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Hi all,

I recently changed my Macbook Pro's HD (13-inch, Early 2011) with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB. Running El Capitan. Enabled TRIM.

Everything is working fine, but a few bizarre things are happening:

- videos are closing after a few seconds. (VLC and QUICKTIME). The applications just close by themselves - no error message.

- Updates on APPSTORE are not installing. The files do download, but don't install.

Has anyone experienced that? Or know what the problem is?

Thanks a lot!!!!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi all,

I recently changed my Macbook Pro's HD (13-inch, Early 2011) with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB. Running El Capitan. Enabled TRIM.

- videos are closing after a few seconds. (VLC and QUICKTIME). The applications just close by themselves - no error message.

- Updates on APPSTORE are not installing. The files do download, but don't install.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

If those are the only weird things going on I'd try troubleshooting the software side of things first.

Does this happen in another user account? What about safe mode?

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
what does that have to do with the ssd man?

I hope you did a clean install btw

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!!!!!

I have that same SSD, and did an upgrade to EC from Yosemite and are not having any of those issues. My plan was to do a clean install if I had problems.

techedude

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!!!!!

You no longer have to enable trim on 3rd party SSD's while running El Capitan. In the previous years you had to enable trim on 3rd party SSD's. Apple has opened it up to work for all SSD's. You should reinstall the OS because the SSD isn't the problem here.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You no longer have to enable trim on 3rd party SSD's while running El Capitan. In the previous years you had to enable trim on 3rd party SSD's. Apple has opened it up to work for all SSD's. You should reinstall the OS because the SSD isn't the problem here.
You do. It still needs to be turned on as it is off by default for non-Apple SSD-s. You just don't need a 3rd-party hack to do this.
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/12/os-x-el-capitan-trim-support/

megrim

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
I have mid-2012 macbook pro and I own a Samsung SSD EVO 250 installed. But I am afraid to enable TRIM, I couldn't find any info of compatibility. Can you help?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have mid-2012 macbook pro and I own a Samsung SSD EVO 250 installed. But I am afraid to enable TRIM, I couldn't find any info of compatibility. Can you help?
I assume a typo and you meant Samsung EVO 850? Lot's of forum members here use that drive with TRIM and there is no problem. Just install El Capitan and run the command below in Terminal to enable TRIM.

Code:
sudo trimforce enable

Reactions: CoastalOR

megrim

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
I assume a typo and you meant Samsung EVO 850? Lot's of forum members here use that drive with TRIM and there is no problem. Just install El Capitan and run the command below in Terminal to enable TRIM.
Sorry, you are right, it should be EVO 850.

I didn't install a fresh El Capitan. I just cloned the el Capitan on the mechanical disk to SSD.
Will it be a problem?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry, you are right, it should be EVO 850.

I didn't install a fresh El Capitan. I just cloned the el Capitan on the mechanical disk to SSD.
Will it be a problem?

Thanks.
Not a problem at all. Just go ahead and run that command and you will be all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.