Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Why the hell does Maps sometimes start with "Proceed to the Route", the most useless set of directions it can possibly give me?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Why the hell does Maps sometimes start with "Proceed to the Route", the most useless set of directions it can possibly give me?

This doesn't really answer your question, but next time it happens, report it as a bug directly on your phone so that hopefully someone somewhere in the Apple kingdom will fix it...

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I do not use Maps often, but when I do hear this, it seems to usually be when I am in a parking lot and sitting still. Guessing it goes into a fallback since it does not have map info on the layout of the lot and has no idea on which entrance you will be taking to get to the road.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
This is one of the anoying bugs left in Apple maps - another related one is when you get 'proceed to the route' if you deviate (e.g. make a detour, pull into a car park near the destination) after about 4 'proceed to the route's Siri clearly gives up and just says 'Arrived at the destination' and comes out of navigation mode!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

I only get this when I'm some distance from a mapped roadway - which makes it pretty obvious why you get it. Do you get it in other scenarios?

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I do not use Maps often, but when I do hear this, it seems to usually be when I am in a parking lot and sitting still. Guessing it goes into a fallback since it does not have map info on the layout of the lot and has no idea on which entrance you will be taking to get to the road.
This is exactly what happen to me too. And I think you’re right, but Apple should fix this since google maps doesn’t have this problem.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It's not a "bug" in Apple Maps. My two Benzes and old TomTom GO 910 offer the same instruction, in exactly the same places that Apple Maps offers that instruction. All 3 map sources are Teleatlas with routing companies hired by TomTom. Blame Teleatlas/TomTom, this behavior/trait goes back 15 years. There's no problem to "fix" - Apple leases routing data from TomTom as a subset of TomTom traffic data...

Real people - working for routing companies - drive these routes, which get incorporated into mapping apps. <snark>I'm surmising Google Maps doesn't instruct its users to go to the route might be due to their drivers spending too much time lounging in parking lots?</snark>

Reactions: PeLaNo

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
This is exactly what happen to me too. And I think you’re right, but Apple should fix this since google maps doesn’t have this problem.

LOL ok then, Google either has no concept of off road? Or does it drawn a meaningless dotted line from your location to the start of the Google route - which may or may not be driveable?

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
LOL ok then, Google either has no concept of off road? Or does it drawn a meaningless dotted line from your location to the start of the Google route - which may or may not be driveable?
Isn’t dotted line in google map mean walking?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Isn’t dotted line in google map mean walking?

As far as I've seen it can be a pretty generic line between where you are and the start of the route, certainly on Garmin etc sat nav systems in the past. The point is NO navigation mapping covers every inch of the globe, there will be gaps in it when the system cannot advise how to get from where you are to the start of the route at the nearest known mapping point.

I hate when it does that when I pull out of a parking lot and need to know if "the route" goes right or left.

Yep that IS a nuisance.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I hate when it does that when I pull out of a parking lot and need to know if "the route" goes right or left.

Yep that IS a nuisance.
I'll agree on this bit but still offer that it's a Teleatlas holdover that hasn't been "translated". All 3 of my aforementioned navigation systems have a split screen, with a navigational compass arrow displaying the direction of travel - the voice instructions are useless but for referencing the compass arrow showing the general heads-up direction of travel to get to the relevant route. I can see why M-B went all in with HERE just to get out from under TomTom, but I'll never see HERE maps in my older Benzes. I've started using INRIX for navigation, better routing (weather-dependent, self-owned routing, they're physically in the 3 DOT traffic rooms I work with...), no ties to ads even though they now use Google Maps as base maps. Free too, no ads. No affiliation with INRIX.

Reactions: AlliFlowers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.