Process of trading a phone? Help needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cool Pup, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I recently received a very good offer that I need to take up on right now that involves trading my iPhone with another person.

I purchased my phone off contract from Verizon directly (should I advertise as "unlocked"?) and he has a Verizon phone that he's willing to trade with me.

But, where I need the help is, what do I do with the new phone once I get it? I know I'll need to clear the data, take out my SIM card and replace it on the new device, but, is that it? Do I need to fix anything or give a notice to the Verizon website, or will it automatically adjust the phone and model? And this won't mess up with my current UDP, will it?

This all sounds terribly easy to answer, but I haven't traded a phone with a person before so I'm just curious about the process to make sure it works properly with my account.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Confirm with seller/carrier that device is paid in full

Check this page: https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ to ensure phone has a clean IMEI.

Reset all contents and data on phone.

I'm a relative noob to this as well, but this is a start.

3. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Just go to a corporate store and tell them you want to trade. Bring both phones and the account holder for each account. It's free and only takes about 10 minutes. I used to do this with verizon at least once a month. Make sure both phones get erased and complete the restore process by letting the phones start up and enter the Apple id passwords so the new user can set up their new phones.

4. Cool Pup thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Thanks you guys, I appreciate the help and will use your advice. Is there anything else I should know?

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Back up your phone to iCloud first, so you can restore everything, and don't forget your SIM.