Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
hey... I've seen a buncha posts here regarding processor temperature measurements. I was wondering, what is the best free program to use to find your processor temperature? What do you guys use? Also, how do they work?

I'd appreciate any suggestions :D

David

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Re: Processor temperature

Originally posted by frescies
hey... I've seen a buncha posts here regarding processor temperature measurements. I was wondering, what is the best free program to use to find your processor temperature? What do you guys use? Also, how do they work?

I'd appreciate any suggestions :D

David

Well, back when I was using my powermac 8500 with a 445 mhz g3 upgrade card from powerlogix, I used their program to monitor my cpu temperature, but now with my g4 I don't even bother. I am certainly not worried about my cpu termperature, but based on other people's responses I might choose to download a free program just for interest.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Does the G4 even have the ability to report temperature? I always thought one needed special hardware to do that, like a thermal probe and special regulators and bords.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'll give it back eventually. ;)

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Does the G4 even have the ability to report temperature? I always thought one needed special hardware to do that, like a thermal probe and special regulators and bords.

Yea, I imagine that the g4 would have to have special hardware installed because there is no other way for it to report temperature, but I am sure that the companies install that hardware even if it is only for them to test their chips.

I use the program, AquaMon , not only does it report the temp, but lots of other useful information as well.
Thanks for the link, i'll check it out

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by funkywhat2

I thought they took the temp thing out....

What the hell does aquamon guess?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

That might help you. It's just a small program that shows the current temp of the processor. Note you will need to read though and see if it will work with your processors. Some of the newer Moto G4's and IBM G3's don't even have temperature monitors built in so it cannot access them.

My iMac DV 400 G3 runs between 36-40 C or 98.6-104F . I don't know how that compares to different processors. I know this is one of the convection cooled models with no fan. It's amazing that the G3's ran that cool enough not to need a fan!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah no sensor...

Meh, damn newish iMac (800)

Attachments

• yeah no sensor.jpg
    yeah no sensor.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 340

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Re: Yeah no sensor...

Originally posted by MrMacman
Meh, damn newish iMac (800)
heh, well for some odd reason aquamon didn't even install on my computer cause it said something was wrong with my hard drive. Strange. I checked it out and it seemed fine. It gave a null error and I can't figure out why. I tried installing some other software afterwards and it worked fine. Hmpf. Anyway, I am gong to try temperature monitor. I really bet that the g5 will have a temperature probe because of all it's complex heat management and I think it would be a great idea for apple to include temperature information in the cpu monitor.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
heh, this isn't much better. It says "operating system not supported". It wants to make me update to 10.2.5 from 10.2.4. I am reluctant cause I have a delicate setup with my version of maya...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
all powermacs have (at least these days) got temp monitors. How does the mac adjust the fan for the heat? random guessing? that is the OS9 way of doing things.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
yes. some fans come with their own heat sensors. i know. my amd pc (ugly duckling - i got a pmg4) has one in it for the aussie summer. :D
but with no heat sensor? means that it will always be at the same speed. the system doesn't need to know.
the yellow cable on fans that you see? that is the wire for telling the system how fast it is running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.