Processor Upgrades

reyesmac

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Can someone tell me please, please

Does anyone out there know if there has ever been any news about buying a processor upgrade card for a Blue and White G3 that from on of the surviving upgrade makers that is faster than the 550mhz G4's? I can't understand why the gig or 800's are only for upgrading G4's. Any rumours on that?:confused:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I have a 450 MHZ AGP g4, if I installed the dual 1 GHz processor upgrade, would it run just as fast as the old dual 1 gigs from apple - since i dont have DDR. :confused: Or would it be a tiny bit slower. Will there ever be a g5 upgrade for an AGP powermac? Sorry for me not knowing anything :D.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I'll second that notion, dual 800s would be amazing! Did you guys see the benchmark comparisons of the new Imac 700 and 800 g4s compared to the Powerlogix 800 and 1000mHz upgrade for the cube?

For $400 that is a pretty substantial powerboost.. 2meg L3... yummy.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/benchmarks/series100/page1.html

Considering the source you might have t take the results with some sugar.. but still...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
To answer some questions.

I had a dual 500 in a cube just for one night, the cube was so anoying and so fragile that I give it back next morning. I use to plug and unplug things all the time and the cube wasn't made for that, I had it naked (without the cover) and on one of the sides, let me tell you that naked looks cooler. So, I got my old G4 400 AGP back and transfer the dual 500 of the cube to the AGP and is what I have now. About the speed? I do not see the difference really, there wasn't a speed bumb from single 400 to dual 500, I have to drop some more memory now to see then.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
mymemory - What type of applications were you running that you saw no speed increase from a 400 to a dual 500 upgrade? What os were you operating in? 7200rpm harddrive? thanks!

Ive always been speculative of nothing more than a multiplier increase, I question the overall yield... but doubling the processors and adding an additional meg of L3 cache to both.. it might be worth the change.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by scem0
I have a 450 MHZ AGP g4, if I installed the dual 1 GHz processor upgrade, would it run just as fast as the old dual 1 gigs from apple - since i dont have DDR. :confused: Or would it be a tiny bit slower. Will there ever be a g5 upgrade for an AGP powermac? Sorry for me not knowing anything :D.
cr2sh grabs this question and lobs it underhanded at the plate... knowing full well someone will knock it out of the park.

If a 'tiny bit' equals 33megahertz on the front side and 2full megs less of L3... than yes.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
One could have guessed it was PowerLogix...

but what about this iMac stuff? Will the old iMacs be able to hit 700MHz or, I dare say, higher? Maybe even a G4? Or maybe upgrade cards for the DV iMacs? Eh, I won't be too optimistic. Sounds promising, though.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
dual 800s or 1GHz would be a great upgrade for my Sawtooth - I hope its supported - that way I won't have to worry so much about the next gen processor - which is when I'll get a new computer. Any one have any idea what the prices might be?

D

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
ummmm. how can you upgrade the processor in an iMac? I thought this was impossible? I have an iMac DVSE 500mhz (Summer 2000).

iMac upgrades & G4s for B&Ws

There are CPU upgrades for iMacs. Check out Sonnet (www.sonnettech.com, I think). I'm not sure of Powerlogix, tho.

As for B&W upgrades, they are supposed to be coming out, but not for another month or so, according to Powerlogix. I too am waiting for these and am getting a little impatient myself. In fact, I felt that these new G4s should've been out for older Macs, first. This is kinda ridiculous. Oh well, another month or so, I guess.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
The sense?

I don't really get what the sense will be to put a DP1GHz in your old Mac, when it costs you probably more than 1,000$??? I mean... selling the old puppy and buying a new one would be probably smarter, since you also get a better/faster graphics card and other components that are "better" and newer...

For about 600$ I would think about it, but these prizes are just way too high... It's just a processor card!

Just my 0.02€. :D

groovebuster

CPU upgrades vs. new machine

"For about 600$ I would think about it, but these prizes are just way too high... It's just a processor card!"

I agree--almost. $1,000 vs. $3,000 for a new dual-GHz Mac? I don't think that's too bad a comparison, altho I agree that they are too expensive as processor upgrades.

One thing: I think a dual-GHz G4 upgrade wouldn't go for $1,000. Knowing these CPU upgrade guys, they'll likely start off at more like $1,500, making it that much more attractive to just buy a new machine.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: CPU upgrades vs. new machine

Originally posted by Kethoticus
"For about 600$ I would think about it, but these prizes are just way too high... It's just a processor card!"

I agree--almost. $1,000 vs. $3,000 for a new dual-GHz Mac? I don't think that's too bad a comparison, altho I agree that they are too expensive as processor upgrades.

One thing: I think a dual-GHz G4 upgrade wouldn't go for $1,000. Knowing these CPU upgrade guys, they'll likely start off at more like $1,500, making it that much more attractive to just buy a new machine.
$3,000 for a new dual-Ghz? Where? I just checked the Apple store and they're only $2,499.

The upgrade card is a joke. For $1,699 you can get a new Dual 867Mhz machine with 4 open pci slots and AGP 4x slot that will take or has a much faster graphics card then you can put in any older machine. It also has 4 DDR 266 Ram Slots and an ATA 100, 66, and 33 busses all built in.

If anyone out there is willing to pay a $1,000 for a dual/Ghz upgrade over the Dual 867 let me be the first one to say they are completely Nucking Futz.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Re: CPU upgrades vs. new machine

Originally posted by Kethoticus
Hmmm... well, not really! I doubt if the processor upgrades will let you play in the same league as the new PMs, except you are upgrading a Quicksilver. Older machines have only 100MHz bus speed. So comparing it to the DP867MHz would be probably closer to reality. And that one you get already for way less than 2,000$ (inluding more memory). Add a SuperDrive for 200$ more and there you go.

If they really start at 1,500$ people would be nuts to upgrade their machines. For just 200$ more you get the the basic DP PowerMac in the US Apple store. 200$ more for an enclosure, motherboard, keyboard, mouse, memory, graphic card, hd and optical drive doesn't sound bad to me at all! PLUS you can even keep your old machine. I am really curious how the pricing will be. The SP cards are already pretty expensive, so we shouldn't expect too much.

Here in Germany the SP 1GHz Sonnet card costs around 950$ including sales tax. So I expect the DP card to be around 1,300$. If that turns out to be true they will have a hard time to sell these puppies...

groovebuster

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Re: Can someone tell me please, please

Originally posted by reyesmac
Does anyone out there know if there has ever been any news about buying a processor upgrade card for a Blue and White G3 that from on of the surviving upgrade makers that is faster than the 550mhz G4's? I can't understand why the gig or 800's are only for upgrading G4's. Any rumours on that?:confused:

try www.xlr8yourmac.com they have good informations