Processor Upgrades

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Processor Upgrades are available for many computers... do you think it can be done on an iMac G4... like I have the 800 mhz, but when they come out with 1.25Ghz next yr probably, I will want that, can it be done? Also, is the G5 upgrade fescible?

Any est. prices?
 

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
968
129
bat country
upgrade manufacturers are pretty smart, but it is very hard to make upgrades for machines that were explicitly built as a single board computer. i have not looked at the schematics for the new imac, but the imac line is essentially an all in one laptop design with a monitor built in. there may be a chance for an upgrade somewhere down the line, but it will be very difficult to accomplish (it may require an entire mobo swap which would be tough to engineer and pretty expensive). but hey, if they can make an upgrade for the twentieth anniversary mac, there's hope for anything.
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
upgrade manufacturers are pretty smart, but it is very hard to make upgrades for machines that were explicitly built as a single board computer. i have not looked at the schematics for the new imac, but the imac line is essentially an all in one laptop design with a monitor built in. there may be a chance for an upgrade somewhere down the line, but it will be very difficult to accomplish (it may require an entire mobo swap which would be tough to engineer and pretty expensive). but hey, if they can make an upgrade for the twentieth anniversary mac, there's hope for anything.
lol on the 20th ann mac, I agree.... just hope this happens soon and is under $150 bucks!
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by Fezwick
20th anniversary mac rules! I got one in my basement along with 9 other old school macs.
i think rocks is a bit of an overstatement there! seriously... is it 5 mhz, or 6?
 

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
7,003
11
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Fezwick
20th anniversary mac rules! I got one in my basement along with 9 other old school macs.
This is one question only a real 20th any mac user knows, What special incentive did apple through in for Life?
 

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
319
185
Rhode Island
Originally posted by MrMacman

This is one question only a real 20th any mac user knows, What special incentive did apple through in for Life?
Couldnt tell ya. I said i have a 20th anniversary mac. Didnt say i used it. :)
 

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
319
185
Rhode Island
Originally posted by samdweck


i think rocks is a bit of an overstatement there! seriously... is it 5 mhz, or 6?
Its not just the speed. Its the design of it that makes it cool. And it is 200 Mhz, not 5 or 6. :)
 

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
968
129
bat country
Originally posted by samdweck
lol on the 20th ann mac, I agree.... just hope this happens soon and is under $150 bucks!
you make it sound like they have not made one yet.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_l2.html

the cheapest one is $250, but anything to extend the life of such a badass looking computer is worth it. :D

or were you talking about the upgrade for the imac? i hope that they make one for my crt imac, hopefully with a mobility radeon so that i can have quartzextreme, but that's probably wishfull thinking.
 

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
198
0
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by FattyMembrane


you make it sound like they have not made one yet.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_l2.html

the cheapest one is $250, but anything to extend the life of such a badass looking computer is worth it. :D

or were you talking about the upgrade for the imac? i hope that they make one for my crt imac, hopefully with a mobility radeon so that i can have quartzextreme, but that's probably wishfull thinking.
I was talking iMac Flat Panel G4