Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
After searching these forums for a car mount solution, I think I am going to go with ProClip. Seems to get good feedback here, and I like this solution more than a suction cup to my windshield.

I had a couple questions that I was hoping other users could give me a quick answer to.

1. One of the clip options for my truck appears to be a single clip that goes in a gap on dash board (link below). It does come with a warning that should only be used with light devices... Should I be concerned about the stability, or will this still be plenty stabile?

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=14560&processor=content&pcategoryid=12945&categoryid=12960&year=2011&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=12945&v_cat=12960&year=2011&d_pcat=13759&d_cat=18357&have_holder=false&have_mount=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=

2. What exactly is the "Passthrough" port on the iPhone holder for? At first I thought it was required to charge it, but the holder that does not have the "passthrough" has an opening on the bottom that I assume would allow me to plug in my charging cable (link below).

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=15349&processor=content&pcategoryid=13759&categoryid=18357&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=&v_cat=&year=&d_pcat=13759&d_cat=18357&have_holder=&have_mount=&p_pageid=1&dtype=

I've sent an email to ProClip as well, but I figured I might get a faster response here. Thanks in advance.

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
I have two ProClip holders in two different cars and find them excellent. However both of them have a much more secure fitting that the one you are interested in with two points of contact with the dash in one case, and connected top and bottom to an air vent in the other. So I would personally have some concerns about a single point mount as perhaps the phone would bounce around a bit which might be OK if you just wanted to have it there to take phone calls over Bluetooth or play music. But for sat nav use it mightn't be ideal.

Re the pass through port, I think the point of this is simply to enable you to have the mount semi-permanently connected to your docking cable (which in my case is also connected to my audio system) and then you just pop the phone into the holder and make the connection without fiddling with cables. I actually opted for a different system using the mount that accepts the Griffin cable - see here - as I have a dedicated iPod adpater with its own cable and with a bit of modification of the mount I was able to secure the dock connector into it and then just pop my iPhone straight in and it makes the connection without fiddling around with cables.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I've been using Pro Clip products for years. The set up I currently use is the Proclip Mount with the Passthrough. I have a connector hardwired through my stereo, so when I get in the car, I dock the iPhone, this charges the iPhone at all times and also plays quality music through my stereo. Much more convenient than plugging in the connector before docking it.

Well worth the money.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
One of the clip options for my truck appears to be a single clip that goes in a gap on dash board (link below). It does come with a warning that should only be used with light devices... Should I be concerned about the stability, or will this still be plenty stabile?
I've always used ProClip's device mounts but I'm not a fan of their vehicle mounts. Many rely on friction and double-sided tape. I strongly recommend that you check to see if there is a Panavise or similar bracket for your vehicle. Panavise's brackets always securely bolt to your vehicle and have a mounting hole pattern that is compatible with ProClip's device mounts.

What exactly is the "Passthrough" port on the iPhone holder for? At first I thought it was required to charge it, but the holder that does not have the "passthrough" has an opening on the bottom that I assume would allow me to plug in my charging cable (link below).
It's just a dock connector for you to connect your cable to so you don't have to plug and unplug each time you insert or remove your device. I highly recommend it. The device mount basically acts like a dock with the passthrough connector.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will probably still go pro-clip mount, but will probably choose one of the more stable ones. Unfortunately, for my vehicle half of the options are for lower sections of the dash and I would at least like the iPhone to be at about eye level.

It also sounds like I don't really need the "pass-through", at least not enough to justify the extra $40. I'm not in my truck a lot, so I typically don't plug my phone in unless i'm on a longer commute or using the GPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.