Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
Boy, sometimes I miss the good ole days of *Prodigy - and not the band.
Hearing that 1200 modem squeal and waiting 20 seconds for a screen to change. And then when Chat came about it was da bomb.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
1200 baud? Was rolling with Prodigy when it was a Sears exclusive device at 300 baud. ^^

You know, now that I think about it, I might have had a 900 modem. Course, I didn't know any better. When I finally went from 56k modem to Road Runner I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No more sqealing, no more hangups, no more waiting.
Where's the next connection going to take us? I read years ago there's an Internet 2 already out there - just for educational, gov... uses that is lightning faster than current. I want it.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You know, now that I think about it, I might have had a 900 modem. Course, I didn't know any better. When I finally went from 56k modem to Road Runner I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. No more sqealing, no more hangups, no more waiting.
Where's the next connection going to take us? I read years ago there's an Internet 2 already out there - just for educational, gov... uses that is lightning faster than current. I want it.

We're up to 300+ Mbps now for home use. 1 Gigabit internet is on the rise.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
We're up to 300+ Mbps now for home use. 1 Gigabit internet is on the rise.

Yet it seems that most people are still slogging away on 1.5 Mb/s DSL. Although I can't justify over 20Mb/s Cable. If something faster was available in my area for the same price I'd jump on it. I find whenever speed is limited it is not my connection but the website or FTP I am accessing is overloaded.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yet it seems that most people are still slogging away on 1.5 Mb/s DSL. Although I can't justify over 20Mb/s Cable. If something faster was available in my area for the same price I'd jump on it. I find whenever speed is limited it is not my connection but the website or FTP I am accessing is overloaded.

I'd stab out my eyeballs if I was on 1.5. I simply cannot get work done with that speed when I'm constantly uploading files via FTP.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Boy, sometimes I miss the good ole days of *Prodigy - and not the band.
Hearing that 1200 modem squeal and waiting 20 seconds for a screen to change. And then when Chat came about it was da bomb.

I never did try Prodigy but I did get GEnie and of course AOL.

We also had a local BBS called Rocky Mountain Online. Surfing through those photos with descriptions only and waiting for the photo to slowly download was painful at best not knowing what the picture was until it was half revealed at least. There were no image previews at the time.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Ahh...The good old days..

YouTube: video

That sound really flashes me back to sitting at my parents Quadra 800, circa 1996 (age 8), waiting to dial in and discover exciting things on the internet. :)

Also a warm memory of the good old days:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I remember getting my first modem - a 150 baud hayes knock off. Opened a whole new world to me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.