Producer & Former Rose McGowan Manager, Dies By Suicide at 50 - #MeToo starting to get on my nerves

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Morpheo, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-producer-rose-mcgowan-manager-was-50-1083161

You may wonder why I chose to make a thread about this... I actually wanted to post it in another thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ina-garcia-accused-of-sexual-assault.2105163/) but figured it wasn't exactly the topic so instead I opted for a separate discussion. I have to admit I don't follow these stories every day so maybe what got my attention was already known by many of you - regardless, since we now live in a society ruled by #MeToo where men will soon have to apologize for even existing, I thought it was worth noting that the alleged victims, maybe, in some cases, have an agenda of their own ( :eek: how dares he!!!!)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...atement-harvey-weinstein-rose-mcgowan-1083173

hmm... "made the decision to remove her clothes", "never once used the word rape". There have been other reports from several actresses who actually refused his advances, and things just ended there. So I don't know, the "big powerful man rapes the poor girl" narrative may not always be accurate either. Does that make him innocent? Not in the least and that's not my point. He took advantage of ther that was wrong, 100% wrong. Was she really raped though? My point is that I'm starting to get a little tired, if not exasperated, of these sexual-harrasment-misconduct-inappropriate-behavior-etc stories and the guilty-until-proven-innocent trend. Everyday another man, sorry, another pig is exposed. The latest is this Quentin Tarantino/Howard Stern thing about Polanski. Years ago, Tarantino told Stern how he saw the story, that he didn't think the girl was raped. He didn't say Polanski wasn't to blame, he just merely said the girl may have some responsibility after all, you know, like agreeing to take drugs, agreeing to get drunk, and, who knows, agreeing to something else perhaps. Different times? yeah right - my daughter, who is 17, has already told more me than a few enlightening stories about how some girls, yes teenage girls, behave around men, young or not. That's not pretty. And nobody will convince me that they're victims. On the contrary. And now, the social media justice strikes again. Tarantino condones rape. Disgusting Tarantino defends Polanski, lock him up! Tarantino almost deliberately killed Uma Thurman during Kill Bill. Tarantino must be stopped!

So I guess that makes me a disgusting human being as well. I don't care. My point is actually quite simple: we should take all these reports with a grain of salt. Our overly PC society particularly loves to take things out of context, yet context is always key. But hey, who wants context in 280 words.

Jill Messick's family statement ends with this:

Words matter.
    Someone’s life may depend on it.

What a sad, sad situation.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

All I have to say is about your comment about age is - it doesn't matter. If you are under the age of consent, it's a crime. It's very black and white that way.

3. Morpheo thread starter macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I totally agree. And at the same time I agree with Tarantino. In both cases that doesn't excuse what was done, and that doesn't make Tarantino a monster either.

As for McGowan/Weinstein, Jill Messick's family statement seems to suggest that she probably had a different version of the events than what we've read in the media. I tend to believe that in these situations, the actual truth is often "somewhere in the middle", between the alleged attacker and the alleged victim. It may not be as black and white when both people are above the age of consent. But these days social media gets to be judge, jury and executioner.

4. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

The girl was 13 years old but not a victim in your eyes?

5. Morpheo thread starter macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Yes she was.

What I was referring to in the quote you used was not Polanski’s case.

6. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Ok you said you agreed with Tarantino so I got confused.

7. Morpheo thread starter macrumors 65816

Morpheo

What I agree with is that it's not always as clear as it seems, which was, as I understand it, his point. That's the only reason I brought it up in the first place. I'll also agree that there must be better examples to make this point than Polanski's case though...

8. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Why are you so quick to believe Jill's words, but not Rose's? What is it about her testimony that makes it more true to you than Rose's?

As for Polanski, a 13-year-old girl can act as grown up as she wants, but she isn't, and she can't make the decision to consent. Without consent, that's rape. It's pretty black-and-white in that case.

Your main point is that we should take these reports with a grain of salt. Why? They're almost always true.