Product Red 8 ad poor taste

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jbizzybeetle, Apr 15, 2018.

1. jbizzybeetle, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

jbizzybeetle macrumors 6502a

The suggestive sexual message of the song during ad I saw on CBS app for Product Red iPhone seems really out of place given the AIDS partial focus of this charitable effort.

2. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I listened to it, I believe. A 39 second clip on You Tube. That is, unfortunately, the music of todays generation. So, although, at 67 I am not a fan of the genre, I didn't hear anything explicit enough to nix it. They could have picked a better song though. But, I think, like everything here we will get mixed reviews.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

We got to realize that ads are no longer targeting us more “seasoned” users.

4. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

What song did they go with? I haven't seen any of the ads myself.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I watched it and tried to follow the lyrics and song, which is hard for me since I don't identify with that sound
    But it appears to be a song that is suggesting a hookup based on a casual meeting in the street (could be wrong there)
    I think what the OP is referring to is hypocrisy(?) of the Product Red's focus on AIDS and advertising the iPhone with a casual hookup song

But I could be wrong, don't want to put words in the OP's mouth

6. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

lol Agreed

Guess they think we have no disposable income--:)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2018 ---
    That makes sense. And, as mentioned, Apple could have made a better choice in music.

But, lyrics are not easy to hear if just casually listening to add.

7. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Not exactly my jam, but at the same time I personally don't find that to be in that much of bad taste.

They sure seem to be using a lot of Sofi Tukker's tracks in their ads. Or, well, at least the two that I've heard.

8. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

I don’t mind the ad at all. The iPad Pro ad(what’s a computer)and the FaceId ad(opening everything) are definitely annoying though

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I think there are a few things to take into consideration.
    1) Most people who buy this will probably be ignorant towards the charity case anyway.
    2) What the ad is trying to do is tell you that the iPhone 8 in red is sexy and you want it. It is litterally just typical product advertising.
    3) I’m pretty sure product red is specifically for fighting aids in Africa which is very widely spread by rape, not consensual hookups. There is a belief in Africa that if you give it to someone that you get rid of your own.

10. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

I absolutely get where your coming from, but at least it’s being marketed. So more sold means more for the charity. So if this ad sells more than it can only be a good thing.

11. Relentless Power, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For the majority don’t focus on the words during an ad, its usually just the beat of the music and how it flows with the advertisement for the iPhone. Everybody Will interpret it differently.

12. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I’ve seen the ad before and I never noticed the lyrics. I just thought it was a neat visual experience with a nice beat in the background.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2018 ---

(RED) was founded with a simple mission: To create a sustainable flow of corporate money into the Global Fund to Fight AIDS.

Since our launch over a decade ago, (RED) has contributed more than $500 million to support Global Fund HIV/AIDS grants in Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and Zambia. 100% of the money (RED) raises goes to work on the ground – no overhead is taken.

When you choose to buy (RED), you’re directly supporting diverse range of lifesaving HIV/AIDS programs, including testing, counseling, treatment, and prevention services, sexual reproductive health education, youth engagement programs and much more.

(RED)-supported Global Fund grants have impacted over 110 million lives.

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Cause they know us “seasoned” users are gonna buy their products, they gotta hook the next generation ;)

14. JackieInCo Suspended

i don't see or hear anything wrong with the ad. I feel that they chose that song because the lyrics describe the phone.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

These days people are overly sensitive...
    No offence ;)

16. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Most ads are targets towards the target market age from 18-34 years old range. Ads over that age are for family stuff till 49 years old. 50 and over are nonprime time segment, networks get no money from viewers tuning in to their shows. Many shows get cancel if to many 50 and over viewers are watch their show since the network makes nothing from their viewership!

17. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

You may not notice the lyrics and think the beat is nice but it could be subliminal.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Either way, RED looks like a joke. It’s a way for self-indulgent consumers to pat themselves on the back for doing what they wanted to do anyway.

Almost zero transparency within the organization and the only numbers that are available suggest that around 18% of funds actually go towards AIDS.

Stupid comercial for a questionable brand. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

19. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors 6502a

You get me ;)

As an adult in the ‘80s, my friends were dying of a disease then identified directly with their sexual casualness.

These were people I knew as a child in a tiny Texas town, all of us grown up and off to the bright lights, big city: SF. 10 years later, they were dead.

I realize “today’s youth” don’t feel this history, but Apple knows better. And as the curator of Apple Music, the company has better choices for a stirring beat.

20. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

“You find me on the streets to come over”.

@op
    You hear what you want to hear, based on your morals or the fact that everything is sexualised now days.

Viewing sex as bad thing just because it can cause AIDS, doesn’t mean we should stop having sex. We just have to practice safe sex. Even people with AIDS can have safe sex with one another.

You not liking the song is your opinion.

There is nothing wrong with the song.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The proliferation of HIV/AIDS was largely due careless sexual practices. The song appears to advocate or imply as much. I believe that’s the OP’s issue. It seems hypocritical.

22. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

The song doesn’t imply or talks about sex. People will see and hear what they want to hear.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I would disagree. I think there’s s definite implication of sex in a song talking about walking the streets at night asking to come over. What’s the alternative? Monopoly? Jenga?

The thing about “art” though—song not excluded, is that by its very nature it’s open to interpretation. C’est la vie.

24. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

You did make a good point here. And while I believe Apple could've chosen a better song for the ad the one they did choose wasn't completely horrible.

25. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

Do you invite all your friends and family members to come over for sex, just because you randomly met them on the street?