Product Red 8 ad poor taste

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jbizzybeetle, Apr 15, 2018.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The song is most assuredly referring to inviting extended family over for board games when walking the streets at night.

If that doesn’t invoke one’s muse, I don’t know what does. :cool:

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Is everyone posting from within the convent today? A sexually suggestive song in an ad has been the standard for decades.

Also, the tone of some of these responses suggests that people who have AIDS got it because they were immoral--which is sadly one of the reasons we need more funding.

3. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

4. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

And use the side walk to get to your house so we can play Monopoly?

5. CPTmom2wp macrumors regular

CPTmom2wp

Personally I'm tired of being offended by the free speech of others...And.... I'm tired of the offended trying to limit my free speech.

As noted by the previous poster, suggestive ads and music have always been used in marketing because....well, they work. Apple is no different. The more red phones they sell using sexy music, the more money for AIDS. A chaste ad with AIDS patients in a hospital being treated with funds from the red phones would undoubtedly result in less funds for AIDS patients. It's just the reality of human nature.

6. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

Thank you! People can get AIDS from things other than sex but people got to have something to complain about or feel offended by.... SMH
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2018 ---
    Or the OP is being overly sensitive about a friggin song in a commercial...

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Lots of accusations being hurled by folks claiming others are being overly sensitive.

It’s art. It’s interpretive.

Besides, the thread title is that it’s in poor taste not that everyone has to be like me or burn the first amendment or ban the commercial.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think they’re just referring to the fact that it’s a good looking phone.

9. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Most people will probably just buy the phone for its color anyways, kinda sad that so many people are oblivious to the charity.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

The more units they sell, the more money that goes to the cause... and sex sells so....

We are going to get to a point where you can't say anything, post anything or write anything without someone getting offended by it, this is really getting out of hand.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nah. What’s sad is that people think product (Red) is a legit way to make a difference for AIDS.

12. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

The song is called "Batsh*t" by Sofi Tukker (thanks Shazam) and I read the lyrics, nothing there, people a reading alot more into this. (I am 73 and not a big fan of modern music, but I find the music to be well suited to the ad). There are so many really stupid ads on TV, like the Wayfair ad where they drop their phone and tablet, who in their right mind would do that to their expensive cell phone because they bought something from Wayfair, dumb, dumb dumb.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Then again some may not buy it because they may think Aids/hiv is strictly found in gays and they may not condone the life style.

Personally I am a red fan and usually by product red items because a portion of the sale goes to the charity.

I love the new 8 in red.
    If the X was in red it would be in my hands

14. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Keep this out of this threat please. Don't bring political and social issues into this, thank you!
    Yes, the red color looks awesome!

15. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Raise your hand If you are offended by this song.

16. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

As a PRODUCT RED 8+ owner, I'm offended by this thread.......

17. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

People get offended so easily with nonsense these days... The song isn’t sexual at all and even if it was... well AIDS is related to sexual activities so...

18. puma1552 macrumors 603

That ad is so benign it isn't even funny.

Who cares? Write a letter to someone who cares I guess.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Who’s offended?

20. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

Nothing wrong with that. It’s a nice red, charity or not.

21. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Monies that are hard to peel from our calloused hands. We don't fall for no simple catchy song.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

When did dislike and and disagreement turn into being offended

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Yeah, anyone who's buying this phone for the charity is just looking for an excuse to buy a new phone. If helping is really someone's motivation they should donate to this or other charities directly. Apple doesn't even say what "portion" goes to Product Red, do they? For all we know it could be $1 for each phone.

24. JackieInCo Suspended

The main reason that I bought my red 7+ was due to the color although I did know some of the money spent would be used for AIDS purposes.

Nothing wrong with buying the phone just for the color. I also bought the product red watch band last year mainly just for the color.

I bought a 8+ last week and have no intention of exchanging it for the red this time when my 7+ is red and only 4 months old.

25. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Of course nothing is wrong with that! I should've worded that differently.