Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, released yesterday, feature a bright red aluminum casing that many are a fan of. Unfortunately, it comes equipped with a white front plate, much like the Gold, Silver, and Rose Gold iPhones, something that's been a point of criticism for people who think it would have looked better with a black front plate.

YouTuber Danny Winget recently tore apart a red iPhone 7 Plus and replaced its logic board and front plate with parts taken from a Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus, giving us a glimpse at what an actual (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus with a black front would have looked like.

Winget had to replace not only the front plate but also the logic board because if he swapped just the front portion of the device, the Touch ID fingerprint sensor would have been rendered unusable.

redblackiphone1-800x600.jpg

Apple ties the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to an iPhone's logic board and disables it for security reasons if any of the parts are swapped out. Therefore, most of the internal structure of the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone had to be replaced with parts from the Jet Black iPhone.

Purchasing an entire Jet Black iPhone 7 or 7 Plus for the purpose of creating a hybrid red/black iPhone 7 is probably out of the question for most people, but it's an interesting proof of concept.

redblackiphone2-800x600.jpg

This method essentially ruins the Jet Black iPhone 7 involved, making it a rather pricy project, and it destroys the waterproofing seal on the red iPhone.

redblackiphone3-800x546.jpg

It's also worth noting that this is a highly complicated process that essentially requires tearing apart two iPhones, melding them together, and hoping nothing goes wrong, something that the average person won't want to attempt.

redblackiphone5-800x468.jpg

For a closer look at the Special Edition (PRODUCT)RED iPhone, make sure to check out our hands-on video.

Article Link: (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus Gets Black Front in New Part Swap Video

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think the white bezel actually has a much cleaner look to it and isn't as off putting as one would think, even though black does blend/Pair with Red as well. A red ring surrounding the home button would have set it off nicely to personalize it more.

Last edited:

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I would swap my matte black 7 for the red iPhone if it had a black front option... dang it

Same. Ugh. Looks cheap with the white front.

Combined with not even bothering to replace the silver ring around the TouchID with a corresponding red one, this really is par for the course for Cook's Apple. Lazy, uninspired products from a successful company that went on autopilot.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Does one really have to swap the logic board? When changing any screen with a Touch ID sensor u just need to swap out the home button so the same sensor remains paired with the logic board - although I'm not sure if u can remove it on the 7 models. Guess not, or he would have done that...

Reactions: tridley68

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Doesn't matter if if looks good, it looks un-Apple like.

What I mean is, it's fine if you want to do this and own this but it's crazy to think Apple would have actually done this themselves.

I don't think it's "Crazy" for Apple to make a black bezel pairing with the Product Red iPhone. However, I was not shocked when Apple chose to use the white bezel. But It's a possibility the white bezel was used with the Product Red iPhone from having more parts remaining from the silver iPhone, being its allegedly less popular or extra stock of that specific part.

Last edited:

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I think I do too, but I wish it had a red Touch ID sensor rather than silver. It looks nice either way.

Agreed. At first I thought it was just the fact that it had a white face, but I have the same gripe.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I don't think it's "Crazy" for Apple to make a black bezel pairing with the Product Red iPhone. However, I was not shocked when Apple chose to use the white bezel. But It's a possibility the white bezel was used with the Product Red iPhone from having more parts remaining from silver iPhone, being its allegedly less popular or extra stock of that specific part.

I would be willing to bet $500 on this.

Under Jobs, if the part from the black iPhone wasn't the right shade to compliment the red aluminum, he would have had them try 15 other shades of black to find the right one. Under Cook, this is an accounting decision. Which color are we overstocked on? Yeah, perfect, use that one!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't think it's "Crazy" for Apple to make a black bezel pairing with the Product Red iPhone. However, I was not shocked when Apple chose to use the white bezel. But It's a possibility the white bezel was used with the Product Red iPhone from having more parts remaining from the silver iPhone, being its allegedly less popular or extra stock of that specific part.

To me it's exactly the same as if Apple introduced a new Mac designed by Alienware.

I mean, I guess it COULD happen, but we'd all sit up and say "that's crazy!" at the same time.

LXC101

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
I don't get this obsession with black front, red back. That particular colour combination is too aggressive, especially for a brand like Apple. It worked better on the U2 iPod because rock n' roll was essentially the theme, but on an iPhone? Nope.

That said, to each his own.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
To me it's exactly the same as if Apple introduced a new Mac designed by Alienware.

I mean, I guess it COULD happen, but we'd all sit up and say "that's crazy!" at the same time.
Could you please explain in more detail exactly why this is crazy? What makes this Alienware? I don't see glowing green leds everywhere. Are your eyes ok? As it stands now it looks like a damn candy cane. The black on red looks really freaking classy and high-end. Although I will admit that if I had designed the red with black, I would have gone a little darker with red. Apple has taken liberties with the product red colors in the past. They don't have to be so vibrant. Toned down a touch in saturation and shade with a red Touch ID ring would be perfect. They'll probably release something like this with jet black type gloss finish for an upcoming iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.