(profanity) Rape Insurance???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Sydde, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Michigan challenges Florida for Teh Stupid

Michigan lawmakers passed a controversial measure on Wednesday that will ban all insurance plans in the state from covering abortion unless the woman's life is in danger. The law, which takes effect in March, will force women and employers to purchase a separate abortion rider if they would like the procedure covered, even in cases of rape and incest.

Supporters of the "Abortion Insurance Opt-Out Act" argue that it allows people who are opposed to abortion to avoid paying into a plan that covers it. Opponents have nicknamed it the "rape insurance" initiative, because it would force some women to anticipate the possibility of being raped by purchasing the extra abortion insurance ahead of time.

“This tells women who were raped … that they should have thought ahead and planned for it,” said Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer (D-East Lansing) during debates. “Make no mistake, this is anything but a citizens' initiative. It’s a special interest group’s perverted dream come true.”

The Michigan State Legislature first passed the measure last year, but Governor Rick Snyder (R) vetoed it, saying he does not "believe it is appropriate to tell a woman who becomes pregnant due to a rape that she needed to select elective insurance coverage." But the anti-abortion group Right to Life of Michigan was able to collect more than 300,000 voter signatures on a petition this year to force a second vote on the measure. Having been passed by both chambers, the bill automatically becomes law now, even without Snyder's approval.

Several Democratic women lawmakers became emotional during debates on Wednesday as they told personal stories of miscarriage and abortion, and State Rep. David Knezek (D) blasted the measure as misogynistic. "This body made up of 80 percent men will make a decision that will impact 100 percent of women," he said.

I guess they are telling the people of Michigan to lock up their wives and their daughters.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

How about doing the opposite so it doesn't effect everyone.... When getting an insurance plan, the people opposed to abortion opt out of abortion piece of the plan instead of putting the burden on the rape and incest victims to make sure they are covered to get an abortion by insurance.....

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Because the motivation is to eradicate abortions 100%, no excuses allowed. Therefore they make it harder on those wanting abortions, not those who are against abortions.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

On one side, I don't care about abortions as long as I don't have to pay for it, on the other, its probably cheaper to pay for an abortion than an unwanted kid.

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, and as you know, the problem we have in the .us is that the anti-abortion crowd care deeply about your fetus, but once the umbilical cord is cut, they are nowhere to be seen, the baby is on its own.

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Look no further than the resistance to the expansion of Medicaid for the ACA.

It's much better to have children dying from a bad cough and fever...

Healthcare in America is a national crisis and a disgrace among first world nations.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'm opposed to abortion-but your idea is a good one.

Zombie-Steve Jobs was an unwanted kid-but his mom choose life-I'm glad she did. I'm opposed to the Death Penalty for a million reasons-but funny how the opposite is true; Its cheaper to have a life sentence. I do agree with you in that I don't want to pay for any part of it either. Not happy I'm paying for death sentences now either.

----------

Hyperbole

here are just the US private agencies....Listed 437 private agencies in the US alone.
    https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/rl_country_searchpage.cfm

I do wish adoption was more used and thought of, sadly its not. We were on the list to adopt but were graced with 3 of our own. God bless those that do adopt, while it's not a perfect solution-because there isn't one-it beats killing all of those that are in homes waiting for adoption now or those waiting to traverse the Magical Birth Canal that magically makes them a human.

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Sigh... pretty sad day to live in Michigan. I hope this is either brought down by the courts or overturned on a ballot initiative.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

...especially if it's from a underprivileged/ troubled family. Tough luck kid, we gave you your shot! ;)

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Tough luck kid we just aborted you....or tough luck kid you get to have a life after you leave the orphanage?

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I like the abortion idea better. We have to many people already.

12. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Nature does a much better job than any doctor could. 113 years ago, you could expect a worse than 1 in 7 chance that you could celebrate your new baby's first birthday (CDC pdf), only slightly more than one in five children saw their tenth year. Yet birth rates continue to make the population grow. We have to have some way to restrain our growth, perhaps more humans should be spayed and neutered?

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You can't miss what you never had... I tend to like the ideas of souls so if you don't make it the first time, there is a good shot at a second, third, or hundredth shot if you think reincarnation is possible. :)

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If the refurbished souls are really "as good as new" then why do they just stick them in the first plain old ugly looking box they can find?

Personally, I'd be willing to paid extra for the real deal, to get that unmistakable "new soul smell" and the more colorful packaging.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The premise with the soul, is that you *are* the soul. You are the one who gets the new package smell in your new body. ;)

What is amazing is this "consciousness", "self awareness" thing. I believe all higher levels of life possess it. I don't believe scientists can pinpoint it. Is it a matter of a level of intelligence or something extra (like a soul)? Obviously no one knows.

16. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Actually, the "soul" has a pretty simple scientific explanation. "Self-awareness" is really a survival requirement for animals, because the focus of animal life is to not have things kill you: self-awareness would decidedly be an evolutionary advantage, and it is a pretty basic computational function (though its implementation involves a complex chemical bouillabaisse in concert with neural function). A gnat has self-awareness as much as we do, in that it strives to exist and tries to avoid destruction.

We perceive "soul" only because we are able to look at it analytically. There is no mystery or metaphysics to it, we just are.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't say that a gnat or mosquito won't try to avoid being squashed but at what level is the organism functioning on? Is it something they just are programed to do or are they thinking "Lookout, I'm about to die!" ;)

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I expect they are every bit as aware of impending doom as we are. No programmer required.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Science tends to regard "the soul" as a synonym for "the mind", and science has already revealed a great deal about "the mind" and the workings of the human brain. Science will undoubtedly revel even more about "the mind" in the future.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I would not assume that knowing what little I know.

There is no proof of a soul so I concede it is elusive and I can't categorize my feelings about it as belief, just desire.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

But we have proof of the mind and of consciousness. Is the concept of the soul that different from the human mind and its aspect of consciousness?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why would you assume otherwise? Even an instinct for self preservation presupposes an awareness of self.

23. Huntn, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The concept of soul if it is an individual's essence would be the mind from a scientific basis, but what happens in the case of dementia? The mind is destroyed, that person no longer exists, at least not what made them a person we knew. The soul is viewed as something with more staying power, dare I say eternal, greater than flesh and blood with the ability to transcend mortality outside of what science would accept, I think. ;) Look, it's just a comforting notion.

There is a distinction I'm making, although I admit Im not knowledgable on the subject. So it is an asumption. My impression is the higher mammals, especially humans recognize death as a physical end of existence. An insect could be operating on impulses, not thinking about choices, or outcomes, or what they will do next week, simply basic recognition of good, good, hungry, bad, bad, flee! The distinction could be simply a matter of more computing power and a brain able to better analyze, contimplate, and philosophize.

A most interesting example are honey bees, which are more developed than knats. I wonder how much we know about their choices? Is their complex behavior based mostly on choices or programming? I recognize that what they do involves some choice, but don't know the degree of factors that are considered in choices.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

That the soul is "read only" memory is an interesting concept -- or more specifically, I'd guess, it's a programmable read only memory (PROM), programmed by "the controller" (I assume)?

More or less a boot-strapping program that copies itself into RAM on boot (birth)... as the RAM is likely to get fragmented and corrupted over time, a reboot (death, followed by rebirth) is needed to clean everything up, which normally entails installation of the recycled PROM (the soul) into a new hardware system (i.e., a new human body).

Does that sound about right? :)

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Sure! However there seems to be remnants when people go under in regressive hypnosis. :)