Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
Madrid (Spain)
Hello,

I was recently at a big tecnological fair here in Spain (the SIMO) where Apple had a booth. I asked one of the persons from Apple if now that they bought Emagic (makers of Logic Audio) were they going to release a professional audio hardware product of their own.

The guy said that Apple may buy some other company related to audio hardware and release a product of their own.

Now, I don't know what this guy's possition is, and I don't know where he gets this information from... I was just wandering if anyone here at Macroumors might know more about this because I'm planning on expending quite a lot of money on audio hardware/software. The first decision I've made is to switch from Protools to Logic Audio... mostly because of the hardware support, but it'll be nice knowing what are Apple's plans regarding this area now that they own Emagic...

BTW, This is my first post... I've been reading this site for a while and find it very useful... The recent thread about the new laptops specially :)

Thanks,

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't heard anything, but if you're already using protools Digidesign will be releasing a OS X version soon if they haven't already.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I doub it so much. The people that deals with audio is so picky and so absurb that would be a week market for Apple. Audio is very subjective and it is a culture the the audio industry to complain about every single D/A interface out there. There is never a good one. People allways complain about MOTU interfaces as well Protools and go one.

There is not real mesurment to distinguish a very good interface from other. People can hardly tell the diference of something recorded it a Protools systen or using the factory build I/O of the computer. Some engineers can but I had fool most of them.

So, audio is a mouth to mouth market. You can have a very good system but everything depends of your room. There are a lot of invisible variables that can affect the performance of a product. I do not thing Apple is going to jump in to that market specially with so many audio interfaces out there.

Apple is strong in video. What should impruve is quicktime sounds.

Killswitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2002
SF Bay Area
don't buy anything yet

I'd hold off making any new audio equipment or software purchases for a couple of months.
Pro Tools for OSX is around the corner, Cubase SX is shipping, Digital Performer is soon to be OSX... and Of course Logic 5.2 is OSX.

The first question in my mind is "How will we musicians put our VST/Virtual synths and samplers to use with these new OSX apps?" will I be able to get an OSX version of my favorite tool the EXS-24? Should I try Kontakt? Will Kontakt work in logic ( audio Units )... Will the newly released PPG Wave 2.v function as well in OSX?
Will Logic and Pro Tools play as well together in OSX as they do in 9?

Then the big question, "Will Apple release Audio Hardware?"
My answer to that is no.
"Will they carry Emagic stuff in their stores?"
Maybe in the Big 'uns like SoHo or The Grove.

We're gonna have to rely on music professionals and retailers for our Hardware for a little longer.

Too many unanswered questions, too few people with 'hands on' experience. Making a purchase based on a press release isn't practical or sensible to me. Too bad I don't have the cash or the contacts to do the needed testing. It would be a fun project.

Might be cool to have a MicroLogic style interface in the new Final Cut Pro tho..maybe some plug-ins.

Fueling the fire.

Killswitch,
sound designer

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: don't buy anything yet

Originally posted by Killswitch
Maybe in the Big 'uns like SoHo or The Grove.
Fueling the fire.

Killswitch,
sound designer

The Palo Alto store already carries a bit of Music software.

Trying to extinguish some of that fire you fueled.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
when is dp3 coming for os x! argh i've been waiting so long! hopefully soon...they don't have much more time left ..they said 2nd half of 2002...

anyway it would be interesting to see what kind of audio hardware apple could make..but i'd rather them try to influce logics software..i use dp3 because i just plain don't like logics interface. i think in what you can do both programs are pretty much the same...its just the users preference that matters...and if apple made logic look amazing i'd switch

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: don't buy anything yet

Originally posted by MacCoaster

He was speaking of hardware being at the Apple Stores. If I understood his post.

If not, correct me.
When he said stuff I was thinking anything Emagic. Since he didn't say hardware stuff. Anyway it might be a good idea to have the full solution in the store.

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
My friend from cupertino sent this to me. He lives at 2 infinite loop and he can see apples testng labs from his window

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
my god that would be a musicians dream come true...STOP TAUNTING US hehehe j/k

Killswitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2002
SF Bay Area
Emagic Hardware

True... the Valley Fair and Palo Alto stores carry iMics and the hideously noisy Edirol audio interfaces, since these are inexpensive consumer products. I think they had Reason at one time...haven't seen it back in stock.

Thinking about it further, would it make sense for Pro Audio Equipment to be on display in the Apple Stores? Would Geniuses have to be trained in troubleshooting? Sales people?

Been up all night editing and need sleep,

Killswitch

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Emagic Hardware

True... the Valley Fair and Palo Alto stores carry iMics and the hideously noisy Edirol audio interfaces, since these are inexpensive consumer products. I think they had Reason at one time...haven't seen it back in stock.

Thinking about it further, would it make sense for Pro Audio Equipment to be on display in the Apple Stores? Would Geniuses have to be trained in troubleshooting? Sales people?

Been up all night editing and need sleep,

Killswitch

Well with the aquisition of eMagic I think they may make it simple to connect the equipment and things would actually just work. Ha!

However most musicians need a job and Apple could hire a few Mac savvy musicians that use this sort of equipment. A good logical step would have the mac setup in different situations.

A: The photographers dream studio.
B: The video editors dream studio.
C: The musicians dream studio.
D: The business dream simple network setup.
E: The home user setup.

However, this would require too much space, but it would be impressive if they could do it well. Especially with a multitrack studio and surround sound coming from the mac corner along with a digital video.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I anticipate Apple playing a hand in Logic being rewritten from the ground up (eventually). Logic is currently seems to be a simple program with complex functions built on top. It's as if it hasn't been re-coded in years! Now don't get me wrong - I am a proud owner (not pirate!) of Logic Audio Platinum 5.4, I just expect Apple to encourage Emagic to design a more elegant audio system.

As for hardware, I think it is safe to say that the next line of products from Emagic will be streamlined for Mac OS X. This is obvious, as there is no other platform slated for compatibility. I've been waiting since summer to replace my emi 2/6, and I don't think I will be disappointed. I am confident that my two favorite tools in audio (my Mac and Logic) will blend even more seamlessly over time.

BTW -Anyone here attending recording school or working in a studio?

Dan

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by alset
...BTW -Anyone here attending recording school or working in a studio?

Dan

i do and i'm real psyched tobe using Logic in OS X lately. i miss some of my VSTs and whatnot but there are a bunch of AUs hitting the market fast and i think the standard will be dope. i also use an emi 2|6 for field recording with a laptop and i love it. hear anything about the 6|2? i thought it was supposed to be out already.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
hmmm, apple audio editing software, iMix?? That would be cool.

All I want is to be able to use my Digidesign Protools Digi 001 as a regular audio out.

maka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
Madrid (Spain)
Originally posted by alset

BTW -Anyone here attending recording school or working in a studio?

I work for a T.V channel in a small Protools setup. But it's an old Protools 3 running on a PowerMac 9600...

I love Protool's interface, and Logic's is much more complicated, but now that Apple owns it maybe they change it so that it conforms to their guidelines... I'm actually considering Logic for my own setup because of it's compatibility with most of the hardware out there...

Micho

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
HMM

wishfull thinking me thinks...
apple software yes maybe probly, eventually
but can anyone say over diversification

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: HMM

Originally posted by Micho
wishfull thinking me thinks...
apple software yes maybe probly, eventually
but can anyone say over diversification
That would be the case if you were in a very niche product. But it's good to be robust and in many fields to appeal to many people professional and non. Just doing so wisely and effectively is the hard part. At least if you have an operating system in need of market share. Hmm.

Killswitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2002
SF Bay Area
working in a studio

yep... I do. Have worked in many actually.

I agree, Apple could hire a few MIDI/Audio SAVVY PEOPLE away from Guitar Center or wherever. Place them in an area of the stores...do demos and what not. It'd be great.

We'll see what happens.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: working in a studio

yep... I do. Have worked in many actually.

I agree, Apple could hire a few MIDI/Audio SAVVY PEOPLE away from Guitar Center or wherever. Place them in an area of the stores...do demos and what not. It'd be great.

We'll see what happens.

I'd even do it part time on the weekends, just cause I'm that happy go lucky mac kinda guy.

Imagine having professionals (not me) come in on the weekends to show how they use the equipment. However, I think that wold almost have to fall under valunteer status. not going to happen. But it would be cool.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: working in a studio

We'll see what happens.

i agree. the Apple retail stores, although very nice, do not have staff that properly supports all the departments. i've yet to meet an Apple retail store employee who REALLY knows their **** about audio, or video for that matter. a few pros in there would no doubt be beneficial fo everyone.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I live two blocks away from Apple's new Bay St. store. I am a student in a high-end recording program. You can bet that I'll be pestering the hell out of the GM to let me sell Macs to people who work in pro-audio. I'm only in the third month of classes and I can already answer questions at Guitar Center that the reps don't know. It's a lot like when you steal away a sale at CompUSA when the sales-rep can't help someone picking out a Mac compatible device.

Wish me luck.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.